Portland & Seattle Road Trip

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Josquin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:09 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:23 pm

in Portland, stay at the Jupiter Hotel. hip and moderately priced.

http://www.jupiterhotel.com/

If you want to see some Rummers on the west side of town, I can give you some areas to drive by

http://www.portlandmodern.com/rummer/ru ... index.html

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:01 pm

i hope this thread gets lots of input - because we are planning a trip to portland in our near future!

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:58 am

You for sure have to hit Pour and Thatch. They are located on the same block of NE 27th and Broadway. They are owned by the same guy; Pour is a wine bar with ultra sleek decor..white Knoll chairs etc and around the corner is Thatch a RAD tiki bar. They are both new places but they "get it".
If you are staying at the Jupiter the food at the Doug Fir is good and they are open till 4am.
Dot's is on SE Clinton St at 25th and it's awesome too but lowbrow..tons of velvet paintings and super cool vintage lamps.
The Delta Cafe on SE 46th and Woodstock..awesome fried chicken and they have PBR 40 ouncers brought to the cracked ice chrome dinettes in champagne buckets.

Portland has a lot to offer from chic to low brow cool..but still the city is super laid back.

Shopping...hit Hawthorne Blvd from about 12th to 50th it's chocked full of vintage shops

Lounge Lizard -12th
Deco to Disco and Sputnik Housewares-20th
House of Vinage- 32ish
Hawthorne Vintage-48thish

also the Hollywood district from 40th to 42nd and Sandy has 3 cool shops

Shag-really nice Danish Modern
Hollywood Antique Mall- good stuff mostly downstairs
42nd Street Station-hit and miss
Hollywood Reruns- meh...but you never know

Let me know if you want anymore info..as the Treasurer of Atomic Age Alliance-Portland I want to make sure you have a good time here!
Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:54 am

Josquin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Josquin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:25 am

Thank you for all the information. I'm really looking forward to my five days in Portland! I'll take some photos, if I can get up after having a 40 oz. PBR. :wink: Are there any other notable MCM architectural sites or neighborhoods in town?

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:39 am

I almost forgot..here is a link to my friend's site that has all the neighborhoods listed by Thomas Guide coordinates. Click on the Kitchy Portland button on the bottom for everything cool about Portland.

http://www.aly-star.com/

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:01 pm

More info on Portland architecture and some stores at this page

In Seattle, must-sees are their new main library by Rem Koolhaas

and the new outdoor sculpture garden on the waterfront

Also we found some good vintage stores in Belltown on 1st and 2nd Aves and in Capitol Hill on Pike.
scowsa

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15 pm

Oh and don't forget about the GI Dream exhibit at the Oregon Historical Society.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... =dream+ohs

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Re: Portland & Seattle Road Trip

Postby davidk6 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:50 pm

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:33 pm

good timing. great tips. i'm looking at a Portland trip. (it's a toss-up, i'm also looking at the Las Vegas/Palm Springs combo).
family all over oregon and idaho. family usually wins...though new years in Vegas sounds like fun!

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:28 pm

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:28 am

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:55 am

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:18 am

Here are links to the 2 weekly rags that have all the happenings

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/Home

http://wweek.com/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:55 pm

portland sucks. don't bother. nothing to see. rains all the time :wink:

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:17 pm

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:30 pm

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:46 am

spinsLPs

Postby spinsLPs » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:26 am

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:10 pm

Josquin

Californian?

Postby Josquin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:21 pm

How long do you have to live in California to be considered a Californian?

I'll be driving with Washington plates.

Are they receptive to authentic legal immigrants from places other than California in Oregon?

I really hadn't planned on moving to Oregon. Of course, I've never been, so I could change my mind. Couldn't I? What is "Californicating" and "bumming out our scene"?

davidk6

Re: Californian?

Postby davidk6 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:25 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:48 pm

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:03 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:10 pm

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:23 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:16 pm

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:47 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:26 am

needed to bump this.
i got a bit creeped after seeing a bad video of the 'alberta arts district'.
and a slide show of the charming hand painted signs, 'sPINE tree chiropractic' etc.
don't get me wrong, i love a skateboard shop. cool stickers.(i collect them all.)..a couple...
is that part of town just a itty bit of the big picture.?
i'll ask more questions when i make the flight plans...i just don't want to get stuck with
familly in a mini-mall hip village. or maybe it was a real estate 'loft lifestyle' sales pitch.
the trip is really about family but i always have a rental car. why do charming dude cool slacker
neighborhoods remind me of tight itchy wool sweaters?

Return to “Roadside Rambling”