IKEA-the good, the bad, and the silly

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

IKEA-the good, the bad, and the silly

Postby rockland » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:29 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:02 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:02 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:29 pm

Is the 4-watt a standard-base bulb ? Is is more compact than a 15-watt CF ?

I keep a refrigerator bulb -- the size of a ping-pong ball, a 15-watt incandescent -- burning 24/7. I need it to be that small (and "dim") for the paper lantern it occupies. Is there a CF that would replace it ?

sDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:41 pm

SDR, ikea has some odd and funny commercials. most not allowed in our usa market. huh?
oh, the 'start the car'. that is funny.

egads, the bulb thing is worth exploring and needs its own post.
i think color correction will happen. and i already see differences in various compact flor bulbs.
i have the 4 watt as well. it really solves a soft fill and not an issue if left on outside.
my concern is what replaces a nice soft spot? rely on the shape of the cylinder that houses it?

i still think a guy named mark from manhattan living in ikea in new jersey could be funny. i think he tried too hard.
no one cared. Steve Martin is funny when he isn't, but he earned it. Woody Allen is never funny. He just IS funny.
a new york thing maybe...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:48 pm

I don't know what to do with this. . .but I like it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C7oqXewyCE

The last commercial I got hooked by was Round Table's "Football: the Musical"

:d: ". . .I'm going to FAKE a pass. . .then take off and RUUUNNN. . .!!" :d:

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:17 pm

SDR: the smallest standard base bulb @ ikea that i recall was a 7W CF (approx 25W incandescent) which is/was about the physical size of a standard fan bulb... nice and small, but perhaps too bright for your needs. you might look at some of the sites that feature ... they have low-output options...

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:14 am

I have the 4 watt in my hand. Here is it's number: 000.606.02
But they can be hard to find. I suggest pawing through the 7 watt bin.
Easier to find is a candelabra based 5 watt.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Hmmm....

Postby modfan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:17 am

I've heard of the guy living at Ikea on the news, supposedly they let him
and it's not a promo thing for Ikea. Wasn't there a Simpson's cartoon about this where Homer essentially lives in the matress dept. of a dept. store. Similar story about a secret 'apartment' (really just a room) that someone set up in a shopping mall in Providence RI for 4 years until security found it. And that 'start the car' commercial musta been memorable because this is the second time they've used it for their annual 'sale'.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:34 am

SDR, the 4-watt i have is about 15-incandescent.(?) standard base fit.

my problem is the variety of choices. Can get expensive to start experimenting.

the dim-able for the kitchen table that also lights the wall of sliding pantry doors, has a very small range.
and very orange light. total failure. most stores don't stock much variety yet.

the packaging is also a problem. the rush to supply the demand? because of the visual choices? thin clear plastic
is being used. (like caring a dozen eggs from the hen-house).

i need to replace some vintage tracks. that is 15 bulbs. ouch$
cool white may balance the warm cedar? (walls and ceiling) and cool white may look better in the globes? crisp
and white instead of a grey-orange?

here's a good one,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWuYa5Ni ... umblr.com/

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:45 am

Is the 4-watt as large as a normal bulb ? For this one lantern the ping-pong ball sized 15-watt incandescent is the only one that will fit -- besides having the right light output.

Thanks for all the research, you guys. Yeah, there is a lot out there. . .

SDR

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:19 am

The 4 watt Ikea bulb I have is 3& 3/8" long and 1& 3/4 across the bulb part.
The Ikea bulbs I like have a glass cover over the looped tube. For comparison, I got out a (in this case a 40 watt) appliance bulb. They look to be the same size. If you are using an S-11 in there now, and it's the only thing that will fit, then the Ikea 4 & 7 watts won't work. Here's bulb page showing an S-11

http://www.lightbulbdirect.com/Merchant ... -NILI-SIGN

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks, egads !

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:39 am

here is another.
http://www.buylighting.com/4-Watt-Decor ... p10704.htm
i don't see mine on their low-watt page. but very similar.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:57 am

The color of the light is hard to figure out. I thought some really white light might be nice for my bathroom, so when I ordered some of the small size (R20) compact florescent recessed lighting bulbs on a website, I chose what seemed to be the whitest sounding name. (The box just says Color Temperature-4100K). Now when you stand in the bedroom the master bathroom glows like an operating room. My husband initially said he felt like we were living in that house in Creepshow. We got used to it and don't notice now, especially because it takes the bulbs a while to warm up--which is nice first thing in the morning. I didn't want to just get rid of the bulbs because I hate wasting money and because you aren't supposed to throw them in the regular trash because they have mercury in them.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:44 am

Image 15w refrigerator(?) bulb, soft white

The bulb comes to within an inch of the top of this paper lantern. I've never bothered to lower the socket, which is the obvious solution.

Image slightly taller replacement lantern

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Ikea Commercial

Postby scottkaycee » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:08 pm

My 2 yr old son ADORES Ikea- he insists on atleast two trips a month to our local store- The Covina store, often in many commercials I might add.. He goes thru all the games/kiddie department. He recognizes the logo on furniture, he gets especially excited if he sees one of their stickers under the furniture when he is crawling around "IKEA!! IKEA!!IKEA!!", and he will stop whatever he is doing when that commercial comes on and run around the room screaming "START THE CAR!!!START THE CAR!!!START THE CAR!!!!!"
True story...
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Ikea - the good! (Limmaren by Eva Shildt)

Postby AJ Fisher » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:44 pm

From here in Eugene, Oregon the closest IKEA stores are in Portland and the one south of Seattle.

On a recent trip to the newer Portland store, I "allowed" myself to spend $10 as a treat and a limit. I was surprised by the affordability of products and extremely happy with the results:

The Limmaren glass bathroom set is all business in it's ability to function efficiently. But it's also got great curves combined with a fun and fairly chunky form in the soap dish and tumbler/toothbrush holder. The soap dispenser head and bottle stopper are stainless with plastic seal. I gave it 3 thumbs up!

-AJ

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”