Info on Ceiling Pull Down Lamp

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
muzeon
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Info on Ceiling Pull Down Lamp

Postby muzeon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Wonder if anyone knows what make is this lamp? Any Designer? It's a ceiling pendant lamp, pull-down mechanism. This photo was taken in 1954. Thanks.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:54 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:16 pm

On second thought, the woven wood fabric may be a thin flat cut of wood, about like a popsicle stick but thin enough to be translucent, and the white more like thread than cord. The wood slat actually twists as the accordian pleat tightens toward the center. This fabric is backed by a white cone of translucent sheet plastic material. I believe this is the shade in the photo.

SDR

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:39 am

It seems to me, the mechanism cover just fits over it, with the grommet nuts holding them on.
New York - Leeds- Los Angeles - San Francisco - Toronto
Wherever Google Earth takes me.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:48 am

You're talking about the "football" reel mechanism cover(s) ? That sounds right to me.

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:43 pm

not at all what you are looking for...but a beauty

ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=001

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:49 pm

Ooh, that is yummy.

SDR

muzeon
Modern Fan

Postby muzeon » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Just got back from Palm Springs for the Modernism Show. No luck on finding the ceiling lamp, but found a Lightolier floor lamp that looks like the exact one in our house photo taken in 1954... so we're stoked!

Did find a Lightolier Lamp that looks almost like the original photo on eBay a few days ago. It just doesn't have the pleats and the oval pull mechanism... but looked in great shape, same top part of the lamp, same shape, with wood strips... too bad I missed the auction by 2 min (busy at work)!

Rockland, that's a cool looking lamp... though we like to try to find one closer to the photo...

Might post a pic later to get everyone's opinion if this desk we bought is a Dorothy Schindele... maybe from Modern Color? The metal frame was original (untouched), but the tops and drawers are redone by the seller... so there's no tag.

michaelg
Modern Groupie

Pull down fixture

Postby michaelg » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:09 pm

Not too many avail options on pull down lamps.

DMF offers some options.

http://www.dmflighting.com/products/index.cfm?page=2

Not adjustable but a very cool fixture.

http://www.accesslighting.com/pages/cut ... odel=50114

Michael

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:59 pm

On Ebay now...

It's not a pulldown, but that could be fixed easily enough by purchasing a similar pull down mechanism.......The lamp looks pretty darn close to me.

here is the link to the auction

muzeon
Modern Fan

Postby muzeon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:37 pm

jesgord... omg... I think this is it... who knew it's rattan! Thank you!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:40 pm

Good luck with auction...always glad to lend a helping hand! :D

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:43 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-LIGHTOLIER- ... dZViewItem
you need this. switch out the hanging hardware and you'll have 2 nice lamps. or sell the other...

muzeon
Modern Fan

Postby muzeon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:48 pm

rockland... just won the ebay item! Thanks! This forum rocks!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:05 pm

i think it was jesgord that found my identical fixtures.
just put up the first one today... some wall patching but great, eh?

muzeon
Modern Fan

Postby muzeon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:51 pm

Yup, working on the lamp itself that jesgord posted. It's funny now that we've found it, we're not sure if it's our exact taste. But it definitely looks like the photo! Thanks for the heads up! We'll still definitely hang it up if I win the auction.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:24 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:20 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:31 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:40 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:36 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:19 am

the avitar IS snow, ice, and frozen sea right now. The ferry from N Sidney NB to Port a Basque NFLD.
The chairs are nicely made of fiberglass. Metal would be trouble.

Jesgord. here is a photo of our square ceiling fixture. Enjoy the weekend with your family. Please
don't go to any trouble. Or wait for a more convenient time...electrical work takes a long time
around here. (a book, a nap, even laundry is more fun).

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:59 am

Note nicely-splined mitered corners -- a sign of superior design and workmanship.

SDR

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Snow has made the driveway impassible....or at least not worth getting stuck. If my memory serves me correctly, those are exactly like the ones I have...except some of the wooden grid is broken :( I'll get pics next weekend

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:53 pm

I've yet to get a good photo of the neighborhood at night. Most, if not all the homes
have a near full facade or side lights of pale honey amber glass with a shojii grid.
explains much of the interior lighting choices.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”