Casa de los Osos, Slim and Gabby's house!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Casa de los Osos, Slim and Gabby's house!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue May 27, 2008 2:02 pm

We just got a real camera; so finally, here are some pictures of our house:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93018283@N ... 072678202/
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Casa de los osos

Postby Josquin » Tue May 27, 2008 3:03 pm

Well, after we had heard so much about your bucolic location, the pictures finally arrive. I really enjoyed seeing your post and beam with that marvelous brick fireplace with a built in BBQ. Are those the original painted ceiling beam? I love the oaks. Hey, can I drop by and pick up some of that mulch?

Yes, I agree, everyone should have a pink car. Here's our 1959 Pincoln Continental Mark IV.

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Slim and Gabby,

What an interesting house! It reminds me a lot of my grandmother's place in Auburn, Ca. which my parents now own. The setting of your home reminds me of my other grandparent's place in Redlands, Ca. As familiar as I am with the golden state, I had to look up Atascadero on the map...you're not far from Morro Bay, one of my favorite spots in the state. Cool!

I like what you did with the signage that resembles the National Park system signs. That patio arbor seems begging for some greenery to be hanging from it. :D

Nice job! Thanks for posting the pictures. I look forward to seeing more. And I can also see you have that Sunset mag vibe going as well...right on!
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed May 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Neat photoset - I added you as a contact on flickr.

-- Best, John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed May 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Me too!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed May 28, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks all for the feedback.
We know Josquin is on a similar garden jag, and DFW has the same Sunset jones goin' on.

Yep- we are about 1/2 hour from Morro Bay, where there are a scant few cool pads. There is also a pretty slick neighborhood in San Luis Obispo with some student architect homes. I met a lady on a plane who told me about her 1965 3 story home with a cranky elevator. We are also lucky to have a pretty good "junque" scene here.

And as for the working class thing- our house is only 1100 sq ft. That works out fine, as the garage is 1200-and what is more important for a couple of junk whores? The hardest thing is finding space to hang Slim's art; we have to rotate. If you want to see some of the collection:

http://www.martianink.com

We like the hanging plant idea. Just need to rebuild the lattice first! First up will have to be the Staghorn fern (remounted on oak, natch). Is anybody else into period houseplants? We got a Better Homes and Gardens book that made us crave the big philodendron/ swiss cheese plants. Took us months to get some! But nothing looks better in CA pottery. And they had Calladiums in pink and green indoor pots for Xmas. Super cool!

We just love the folks here- much more realistic than some of the uber-design-y folks.
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Fri May 30, 2008 7:53 pm

Morro Bay...I remember spending a Thanksgiving there with my family in '93...if memory serves me decently we dined in a cool MCM like restaurant that had west facing plate glass that overlooked the bay, rock, and ocean. Memorable t-giving dinner setting.

Next day we were up the hill a bit in Morro Bay, taking in the sights. I came across a neat looking structure, which I believe was some form of retail, and I went inside to admire it. Someone caught my roving eyes, approached me, and asked if I was the architect of the building...out of the clear blue! I had to keep from laughing...at one time in my life I wanted to be an architect...I just didn't want to starve for the length of time it would've taken me to get through school and etc. :D
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:

www.cosmicool.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri May 30, 2008 8:05 pm

nice ranch, beautiful lot :cheers:

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

fun pictures

Postby happy modernists in MN » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:52 am

Hi there, enjoyed looking at your pictures.
I have a question about your fridge, what make and year is it? Did you have it painted?

We lost our pink fridge this year to fridge heaven.

Thanks
Krissy in Minnesota
I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:27 pm

It's a brand new Frigidaire, okay, maybe it's a year old, but still! We bought it in a stainless steel finish (smooth painting surface) so we could paint it to match our 1956 Buick. The paint is a PPG single stage polyurethane, automotive paint. The sides are black in a wrinkled finish; it came out of the factory that way. We bought it at Sears, and while we were looking, we had to be very adamant as to it being a stainless finish. Once they found out what we were doing, they looked at us rather sheepishly and said "We can't guarantee if you do that, you know?" “It's a f**king Frigidaire, what's going to break?â€￾ The pump and “everything under the hood" is still under warranty, so who cares, eh? We thought about getting an old fridge, but that’s not a realistic, cost effective or environmentally good thing to do; so there she sits!

jesgord
Modern Master

Re: fun pictures

Postby jesgord » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:37 am

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

pink fridges & stuff

Postby happy modernists in MN » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:12 am

I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

Slim and Gabby

BIG fridge

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Yep,
The big chill fridge is kinda cute, but it's....BIIIIG. We don't really like the stoves- they are tooooo cartoony.
No way that would fit in our little kitchen. We were actually prepared to get nameplates and handles off a cool old fridge and apply them to a plain new one. We did better than we expected on the new end.
I have ALWAYS wanted a fridge labeled "Coldernell" (with apologies to Tex Avery). Sigh, maybe next time.

Yes, we do love livin' la vida thrifty. If it 'aint old, we probably won't like it. Funny how what we've both done for years is now kinda green and sexy. I think being raised by depression era midwestern farm ladies makes you just want to keep stuff. Oh, that and being junk whores anyway-WE like it.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:05 pm

i agree. the big chill ovens are cheesy. way overdone.

i like your place mucho mas. looks like one of those houses you could spend long time wandering around and checking everything out. while i do love the minimal side of modern, its also fun to see "stuff" in peoples homes. i love 50s kitsch. although you've placed everything really nicely without your "stuff" taking over.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:43 pm

When people come to our house they're always smiling and amazed at all the stuff we have; it's almost as if we are docents in our own living history museum; okay, we are, but we never ask admission (joke).
Our yard is finally starting to recover from the shock of all the non-native plants that were in it; most notably the dreaded vinca/periwinkle-scourge! There are all sorts of native plants coming up that I didn't put in. I've been on a rock-jag as of late; trying to put in as many big rocks in my yard as I am able to lift into my truck. I get rock-envy when we drive past ten-ton boulders, "Ewww, I want that for our yard!" I think in about three years our yard should look like a state park; completely wild! With all the wildlife we attract, it should make for some prime photography too.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”