Slide-show essay about the architecture of Eero Saarinen.

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Slide-show essay about the architecture of Eero Saarinen.

Postby scowsa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:33 pm

A lot of familiar stuff to some folks on this board but a nicely done piece on Slate. One new thing I did learn that he was the first architect to specify Cor-Ten on a building (appropriately the John Deere HQ)

If you go to Slate also check out the piece on Bernd and Hilla Becher
scowsa

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:49 am

John Deere HQ is one of my favorite buildings. I went there with my father as a kid and it changed my life. It was my first exposure to great architecture.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:07 pm

Saw it for the first time last winter...I talked my inlaws into driving to it for me (after the Whities and Made Rights;) Very impressive building, looks like it belongs.

pgharchfan
Modern Fan

Postby pgharchfan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:16 pm

I had the pleasure of a tour of the Deere HQ building about 2 years ago when on a business assignment. The interiors are wonderfully intact as well. The art collection is eclectic and impressive.

If you are in the Moline area, it is worth a visit. The showroom and auditorium are open to the public. You can also walk around the buildings and grounds.

They seem to understand what they have and endeavor to keep it in good condition.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:13 pm

And some photos i have not seen. Thanks!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”