recent problems with the website

Information regarding the operation of this bulletin board.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

hoss
Modern Groupie

Postby hoss » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:54 pm

Sorry if I missed any notice of this but for the last week the
gallery link leads to a "whoops, you found a page that doesn't exist
on this website anymore" (I checked in announcements but didn't see
anything about it)

Also, I tried to send an email to webmaster@lottaliving.com and it bounced back with a "no mailbox here by that name" error.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:49 pm

The sign-in problem I had vanished a few days ago. No problems recently.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Spoke too soon. had a sign-in problem this morning:

General Error

Could not query forum moderator information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1030 Got error 12 from storage engine

SELECT aa.forum_id, u.user_id, u.username FROM phpbb_auth_access aa, phpbb_user_group ug, phpbb_groups g, phpbb_users u WHERE aa.auth_mod = 1 AND g.group_single_user = 1 AND ug.group_id = aa.group_id AND g.group_id = aa.group_id AND u.user_id = ug.user_id GROUP BY u.user_id, u.username, aa.forum_id ORDER BY aa.forum_id, u.user_id

Line : 230
File : index.php

If memory serves me, I seem to have had sign-in problems in the mornings, whatever that might mean!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:32 am

I've been out of town a bit...
but getting de-bug mode for days. until i just checked now.
And i need to sign-in every time.
(or is it a 'shut-up' detention slap :oops: )
was it something i said? :)

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite

Postby Carlos Araujo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:49 pm

I got the DEBUG too, not a detention slap.
"Todos vuelven a la tierra en que nacieron" Ruben Blades

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:04 pm

We have all been getting it off and on for weeks now, rockland, so don't feel singled out. I found that sometimes I can get in by clearing the member id cookie.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm

i still get the debug mode thing a lot. also the website has been freezing my computer up lately. only occasionally.
????
Polite and Cordial

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:33 pm

website should not freeze up your computer?

i know the sql database had issues the other morning...
but i REALLY am moving the databases over (yes sky - it's really happening) - just finished moving 3 of my other sql based sites last week and the last 2 to go will be the 2 forums i run...

but freezing someone's computer is not something the site has been accused of before???
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:14 pm

Is it just me or has action dropped off considerably due to the recent problems? I've found myself only being able to access the message board intermittently from the home page if at all using the normal "message board" link. However, if you start here like I do now:

http://www.google.com/search?q=lottalivin\&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-28,GGGL:en&aq=t

Clicking on the second item down works almost every time. It would not appear that using the home page link or the google search link would make any difference since the htmls are identical, but it does, who knows why.

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite

Postby Carlos Araujo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:06 pm

I've been getting a sign-in problem lately. I already have the computer set to remember my name and password but I have lop anyway, which is no big deal but when I go to view recent posts it indicates that there's no new post as of the moment before when I logged in.

Last week on my home computer I was getting multiple MS Windows dialog boxes (real ones, not the annoying web ads) while trying to navigate the website pages, so I gave up.

Thanks,
"Todos vuelven a la tierra en que nacieron" Ruben Blades

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Carlos,

I think the sign-in problem is related to the host server. I know that Futura Girl has plans to fix that, but I think she has her hands full right now.

The other issue you described from last week is most likely the one I wrote about here:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=13737
That one was partly my fault trying to get creative in the chat window, and partly Microsofts. In researching that I found this link which says it will be fixed in IE 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... nformation
but in any event, it's unlikely to happen here again.

-sky

N.U.Mod
Modern Fan

Postby N.U.Mod » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:31 am

One interesting thing is that if i go to www.lottalivin.com (like the logo) I cannot log into the message boards. But www.lottaliving.com (with the "g") works fine!

sky

Postby sky » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:52 am

At one point, those two addresses were probably the same, but if you check them now ( http://tools.whois.net/ipaddress/ ) you can see that they are different. It might look like they are running the same code, but they are not, and the g-less code is probably pointing to an older version of the database. There was probably an oversite in migration somewhere along the line.

I’d go with the g, NUM!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:07 am

hopefully... switching servers this weekend!!! cross your fingers.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

sky

Postby sky » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:41 am

New hamsters for the treadmill?

Let me know if you need any testers, laboratory animals, or whatever.

Jane, get me off this crazy thing. Help, Jaaaane!

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Lately I cannot seem to stay logged in here from one day to the next, even though I always check the box for "log me on automatically each visit." I used to have this problem here every once in a while, but lately it is non-stop. Today the board even logged me out between multiple visits on the same day, which has never happened before.

sky

Postby sky » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:03 pm

That sounds like a cookie problem, ss, which means it's most likely something happening on the client side (your browser or your software on your computer). Anything new going on there - updates or whatever?

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:51 am

sky wrote:That sounds like a cookie problem, ss, which means it's most likely something happening on the client side (your browser or your software on your computer). Anything new going on there - updates or whatever?

No, I haven't had any recent software updates or changes. What's weird is that I have not experienced cookie problems on any other sites, including the various other discussion boards where I am a participant.

sky

Postby sky » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:21 am

Consider the timing - so soon after Tennessee is drubbed by UCLA. A coincidence? I think not. And not likely to go away this weekend after the Vols are pummeled by Florida. Too much "Rocky Top" - you have to be made to pay for that somehow.

You could try clearing out all cookies. It might be a pain, but sometimes starting fresh helps.

You didn't mention your browser. I recently switched my default browser from IE to Chrome and a lot of system problems I was having went away. I thought Chrome had the most potential because the Google started from scratch. It is noticeably faster than other browsers. Firefox is also better than IE. And most web pages look better in Safari, although I wouldn't say that it's a better browser. You might enjoy trying something new!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:20 pm

keep us posted if this continues and we'll monitor to see if anyone else has the same issues.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm

I would like to report the site loading very slowly. Like 20 seconds to a minute. I have Fios fiber and visit several sites daily. So I know it's not my connection.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:17 pm

egads wrote:I would like to report the site loading very slowly. Like 20 seconds to a minute. I have Fios fiber and visit several sites daily. So I know it's not my connection.

It's happening again. Some users are also report having double posts.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:06 am

Also happening to me and getting a blank screen a couple of times, even though browser reports "Done."
scowsa

modernmecca
Modern Socialite

Postby modernmecca » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:43 am

I am also having problems with the site. Just now I tried posting a reply to a previous topic I created, and the lottaliving site keeps bringing me back to the main page.

After about 17 tries, I finally gave up :(
Claudia Andrade-Desbiens
http://www.ModernMecca.com
Home Staging • Model Homes • Interior Branding
Los Angeles • Orange County • Palm Springs
http://twitter.com/ModernMecca
http://facebook.com/ModernMecca

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:50 am

I am once again having problems getting the site to load at all. This morning I got an error message saying that the connection to the server was reset because it had timed out. The site has taken over a minute to load for me for months. (when this happens I have manually log in) I wonder if that could have something to do with the lack of activity around here. I have Fios 35/35 internet and my speed tests usually come out at over 18 using wifi (closer to 30 when connected by cat 5 cable) I wonder if others have problems getting this site to load. I really would like some feedback. Either Futura Girl is not getting what she is paying for or I'm not. (in terms of our ISPs) Or perhaps the Lotta Living server just needs to be rebooted on some schedule.

Discuss:

sky

Postby sky » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:27 am

egads wrote:I am once again having problems getting the site to load at all.

I don't think it's a host server issue. I sign in about twice a week, but I haven't had any sign-in problems since LL moved to a new server over two years ago. But here's something you can try the next time you have a sign-on problem. First, though, you have to go to this link and bookmark it now so that it will be available to you when you need it.

http://www.lottaliving.com/phpinfo.php

If you can bring up that link after your sign on fails, then your sign-on problem is most likely a software issue. The software issue could be many things, and could be specific to your configuration and browser, but at least FG can rule out server problems. (By the way, the HTML and the database for Lotta Living are on two different servers. A few months ago, I noticed that there was a sporadic issue with the database server – but it gave a board software error message, and the host ultimately fixed that.)

Knowing that it's not a server issue doesn't help isolate the problem all that much though. There are so many places where it could be a software issue ... the LL code is old and non-compliant, the php version is old, the sql version is old, the database was already a hot mess when it converted to the new server two years ago. Also html works differently on different hardware, operating systems and configurations. Meanwhile, back at the modern ranch, browsers are moving forward whereas LL is not. New browsers try to be backwards compatible, but that's not always the case.

As far as why there are so many fewer posters this summer, that could be a lot of things too. But that should be easy to figure out – you just have to ask the members who aren't contributing as much as they used to.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 am

My main issue is not logging in, but getting the site to open at all. Or when it does, it takes forever to load. I did bookmark the page you suggested so I can use it to test. I use both the Safari & Firefox browsers on my Macbook. There are other sites that load really slow for me as well. I just wish there was some way us internet users could know what the problems are so we can address them.

sky

Postby sky » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Sorry, egads, I misread your original post as being a sign-in issue. But go ahead and try that link anytime your browser gets hung up while trying to get an LL page.

Coincidentally, I bought a mac-mini last week. It's not my everyday computer, but since I had it to play with, I logged on to LL with that and didn't have any trouble. It's not really a good simulation for your mac book; it's probably not even the same operating system - unless you've already upgraded to Lion. But I'll tell you, I think I could easily switch to a mac for real. It sets up and runs just like butta!

Actually, everything seems to be running very smoothly and quick today.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:41 pm

Yes it is!
I'm on 10.6.8 the previous one. (a different animal!)

Like I said, the difference in loading pages across various sites is what I really wonder about. There is a bottleneck somewhere, but I'm not sophisticated enough to sniff out where it is. The sites that are consistently slow for me can run much faster at times.

Add to all this that fact that pages on someplace like the Huffington Post (for instance) load so many elements to track us and advertise to us that it eats up internet speed gains.

rglater
Modern Socialite

Lush Pad Link Broken

Postby rglater » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Lush Pad is active but click on any of the three links and -

The link is not currently active.

There are a number of reasons that you may have received this message. The most common is that the merchant who was advertising is temporarily not-actively promoting that program. If, however, you feel you have reached this page in error, please let us know. Shareasale.com does not tolerate or send any SPAM mail to anyone. If you feel you have been targeted by a SPAM message, we would appreciate if you could forward the message to us at abuse at shareasale.com.

Shareasale.com manages the relationships between advertisers and affiliates, which is why you were directed to our site. Since the link that you clicked is not currently active, you were not redirected to the site.

If you are a new affiliate, your links will not be active until Shareasale.com gets a chance to review your account - you will receive an email when your account is approved and links are activated. This process generally takes around 24 business hours.
Richard Dietzel
gabh an latha
Eugene, OR

Return to “Announcements”