Ridding your mcm of cigarette smoke

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
chummie
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ridding your mcm of cigarette smoke

Postby chummie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:38 am

Hi there - This is my first post but I have been lurking for a few months. I'm having a bit of a dilemma at the moment. We're in contract on a 1968 home in Oakland with vaulted wood ceilings and hardwood floors (no carpet, thankfully). The previous owner was a smoker, and we aren't. The smell in the home is not terrible, but it's definitely musty and noticeable. We plan to do some work on the house anyway (including refinishing the floors, repainting, some drywall, new roof, furnace updates) but I'm scared to think that the smell will never fully go away.

Has anybody been through this - and did the smell disappear with the work you did? Do the wood ceilings soak up smoke or resist it? Any cleaning tips?

thanks! if we do end up in this house I'll post pictures of its eventual transformation. :D

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:18 am

the projects you mention will definitely help. Other surfaces clean with light tsp.

welcome to Lotta Livin. where in oakland are you? that town has a lot of architecture.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Smoke Removal

Postby Josquin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Since the smoke residue is generally on the surface, you can usually clean it off with a sponge and mild cleaning agents. The hard part is getting it out of the ducts and other inaccessible areas.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Those things

Postby modfan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:12 pm

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:25 pm

We eliminated most of the smell in our house by using murphys soap in water the old fashion way - hand washing. We also have all the vents cleaned which helped the most and finally we replaced the entire HVAC system. One closet I ended up hand scrubbing had never been painted since the house was built - I literally had tar and nicotine running down my arms. After a good scrubbing I kilzed up the walls and overpainted in white - the smell is completely gone now (it was the worst in the whole house). Two guys lived in the house for 34 years and smoked up until just a few years before the passed on.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”