Eugene, OR - speak out to preserve local Googie architecture

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Eugene, OR - speak out to preserve local Googie architecture

Postby AJ Fisher » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm

"In May 2005, the City of Eugene, in cooperation with the University of Oregon and the State of Oregon, initiated a planning process for an area along Franklin Boulevard known as "Walnut Station." Walnut Station is a transit stop location on the EmX line between downtown Eugene and downtown Springfield. It is also the epicenter of a planning initiative to stimulate redevelopment of this area as a key mixed use center for Eugene."

The former Lew Williams/Joe Romania auto showroom is located within the footprint of this planned redevelopment. The showroom was designed in 1959 by the local architectural firm of Balzhiser, Seder & Rhodes. The property is owned by the University of Oregon.

The City of Eugene is hosting a public input opportunity for this project. The opportunity is called the Walnut Station Charrette and it will be held April 27-29, 2009. For more info, please visit the City of Eugene website page on the Walnut Station project here:

http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server. ... ached=true

If you would like to see the showroom preserved and incorporated into this project, this is an opportunity to say so. Please plan on attending.

More information on the former auto showroom/display pavillion can be found at:

www.eugenemodern.org/romania

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:29 pm

let me know what I can do

Kimba
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimba » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:44 pm

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Postby AJ Fisher » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:27 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:35 pm

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:07 am

we need to organize. we all know a hand full of people who like this stuff. I have no time to lead, but can help out when I can.

let's meet up some time and discuss.

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:23 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:49 am

kimba, I am happy to meet, but I'd like to see AJ chime in regarding his availability.

I am available most everyday except Wednesday evenings. Next week looks better for m though. we can meet at my house. I'm in the ferry street bridge area.

or we can meet at Denny's off I-5 above Glenwood. It's a Armet & Davis design. quite original exterior. http://www.googieart.com/

in addition to advocating preservation of the mentioned buildings, I'd like to initiate some proactive stuff like identifying top 25-50 googie/modern buildings in the area, identify neighborhoods worthy of preservation, and make recommendations for city hall. then present our findings and report to the cities (Spfd, Eug).

I know we are all busy, but I think we all know 2-3 people to build a committee.

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Sun May 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Sounds like fun to me!!!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed May 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Kimba & AJ:

Let's look to set a meeting sometime in June. May is looking way too crazy for me

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”