Long Beach, CA - Cliff May Rancho

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mr. Charlie
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Long Beach, CA - Cliff May Rancho

Postby Mr. Charlie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:24 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:56 am

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:20 pm

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:54 pm

I also walked this house a couple of weeks ago and spoke with the seller. The "pergo" flooring and carpet can easily be removed and according to the owner the old VAT and mastic have been removed. So it would be really simple to rip out the flooring and polish the slab.

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:58 am

Yes, I agree. I saw this house a few weeks back. I believe the owner, who was an old lady, passed away and the daugther was trying to sell the home. The kitchen was remodeled a few years back, with cheap cabinets and a weird layout. The bathrooms look like a Home Depot remodel. Although one of the bathrooms still have the original walk-in shower.

The daughter seems to be very emotionally attached to the home, hence the high asking price. And she put some money into fixing it, which for a true MCM fan, would have to be ripped out and redone, hence the buyer would be paying for something which will be throw out right away.

However, it does have a bigger lot than most CM homes in the area. It would be a "turn key" home for someone who doesn't care about having a MCM home, or those who want a "traditional" style home.

As for me, I would rather wait for another home which hasn't been remuddled to come on the market so I'm not paying for someone else's misguided remodeling.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:58 am

Or livable until one could do the work necessary to bring it back. Or move it in an even more modern direction.

For reference purposes, my house is on a similar large lot (6105 sq ft) and has a garage addition, repurposing the original garage to living space making my sq ft 1767. The tax assessor has my current value at $475,800 (ouch!)
This down substantially from what I paid and even seems low for the neighborhood. (not that I'm moving and I'll take the lower tax bill thank you) So I think they are still asking too much in this market. It is a FSBO (for sale by owner)

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:26 pm

She was originally asking for $635K and lowered it to $610K over the weekend. Personally, I think if you are paying over half a mil for a home in LBC, it should not require much fixing.

I'm just guessing here but to redo the kitchen and strip out the bathrooms, floors, etc, it would cost probably $50K +. Plus, the house has a zen/Japanese theme going in the front and backyard which would require some fixing as well. By the end of it, the buyer would have spent $660K on that house. Given today's economic conditions, it probably isn't a good deal.

Overall, I agree that the price was too high and it would be too difficult to do price negotiatons for a FSBO (seller says she used to be a real estate agent) and hence I passed on it. But good to know that others thought the asking price was high and I wasn't the one being delusional. For that price, I much rather buy the CM which was listed on Mezzanine recently. It captured the MCM look almost perfectly.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:24 pm

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:19 pm

This house recently came on the market:

I have not been inside, but I did see the yard get redone recently. From the photos it looks like it has some decorative features that aren't that desirable, but it looks like the full bones are there to work with.

squeaky
Modern Socialite

Postby squeaky » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 am

I saw this house on the same day as the one on Volk. The owners seem to really like mirrors as there were mirrors almost everywhere. Some of the really large ones are in the pics (in the living room). I thought it had an 80's kinda feel to it given the kind of remodeling they did. They've also installed wood panelling in the bedrooms which looked really odd.

For a house which is supposed to have a good indoor/outdoor flow, it was awfully dark inside. Plus there was a large shed in the backyard which was an eyesore given that the lot is not that big. And it looks lke there was some water damage to the beams as there were some serious cracks.

Although it does have the original fire pit (like the one in the CM sales brochure) which I haven't really seen before. Overall, it is structurally intact. Except for the fact that they added a layer of brick to the outside of the garage. Not sure why that was done.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”