Loiusville, Lexington or Cincinnati-- want to buy

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
widespread
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Loiusville, Lexington or Cincinnati-- want to buy

Postby widespread » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:22 pm

widespread
Modern Groupie

91 views and not one suggestion

Postby widespread » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:03 pm

guess my thoughts on Louisville, Lexington and Cincinnati of having one MCM below 200K are shot... I know Cinncy has some high end moderns but wow! I'm looking for that hidden secret like Harvey Park in Denver. Oh well, guess i'm settling for a basic brick ranch with appeal.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:21 am

have you actually got out and looked? Drove the neighborhoods? Not everything is a brick colonial in those parts.

the internet isn't much help where Modernism wasn't real popular. Every community had it's boom. I am sure a few weekends of looking would turn up something.

Do you have a realtor? They can search by year built, pointing you to some neighborhoods too.

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:38 pm

I’ve found that one of the best ways to start a cold search for mid century modern houses and neighborhoods is to look for elementary schools that were built in the 1950s. These schools were built by the thousands to accommodate the baby boom. It has been my experience that there are usually an abundance of mid-century houses within walking distance of these schools. They may not always be modern in style, but it’s a start. I’ve found a few Cliff May tracts and quite a lot of P & K tracts this way. Look for schools built of red brick, steel and aluminum with long horizontal lines; at least that’s what they look like around here in Southern California. Good luck!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:03 pm

home_boy is right. community design was more cohesive back then. where you'll find Modern public buildings, commercial buildings, and/or churches, there's a good chance you find some Modern homes near by.

Also consider converting vacant mcm commercial space to living space too, if it works

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:34 pm

Also, if the MLS in those cities has a detailed search function, just do a search for single-family homes built between 1950-1970. You can narrow it to the areas you are comfortable with by zip code or area number (however your MLS does it) or by price range. Our local MLS allows realtors to pick a "style" when listing, but I find most realtors don't know what the style is, so it isn't useful when searching. The first time you do it it will take forever and you'll see all those ranhes with the columns in front. But a few gems will pop up.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Colonel Flagg
Modern Fan

Postby Colonel Flagg » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:41 pm

"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:06 pm

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Check out www.cincinnatimodern.com. This realtor used to post up all of the other local agents' MCM listings, but if you scroll down to the "Mid Century MODERNS FOR SALE" link, you'll see that she's had to stop doing that due to an MLS complaint. However, this realtor definitely knows her stuff and will be familiar with all of the current modern listings in Cincinnati. Good luck!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Search 'contemporary'. Real estate term for odd/modern.

My neighborhood has the coolest middle school and pretty cool medical
buildings. The Unitarian church is way-out Mid-century except for the
lime green/black recent paint job. 60's neighborhoods like mine are full
of gems and i had no help. Took two years of searching. And still alone just
north of NYC. Just stopped at a yard sale and a young couple are in a
classic Eames style house. Never noticed it before. Gems are everywhere.
But not necessarily for sale.
Don't settle for anything other than what speaks to you. You will know what
is right when you walk in the door...

widespread
Modern Groupie

thanks for the response

Postby widespread » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:38 am

Looks like it tood a few days but you guys came through. Ha! i have been on the cincinnatimodern website. I was very excited seeing the steel house in hamilton, oh -- looks like that is a one of a kind- especially the price. I haven't been out "looking around" because i haven't moved. I am relocating and will have to find a place in five days during a house hunting trip. I was hoping to zero in on a few places first. I will have a realtor; however, they will be provided by my work and i won't have any clue of their knowledge. I've found from past experience that modern means a new white fridge sitting along side stock brown cabinets from home depot.
If you have details on the Columbus place please send. I am able to move just about anywhere within a two hour drive of Cinncy. That is south and east -- i can't do Indy or i would be there for sure. There seems to be several MCM areas there. Anyway, thanks for any and all of your suggestions and help.

Colonel Flagg
Modern Fan

Postby Colonel Flagg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:04 am

Here you go:

http://www.tclf.org/landslide/gunning/index.html

I really wish I could buy this one myself, but I have no reason to be in Columbus.

Price is $275,000. It's on realtor.com as well. Search under Blacklick, OH and you'll see it. I have a slide-show on it somewhere too - just gotta find the link to it.

~Colonel Flagg
"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

Colonel Flagg
Modern Fan

Postby Colonel Flagg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:18 am

Ok, found the photo-tour. Be prepared to be amazed:

http://ed850a9e63f38acfcc457a187942175f ... e_tour.pdf

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:16 am

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:57 am

That house was widely discussed on the Frank Lloyd Wright Conservancy board for those interested:

http://www.savewright.org/wright_chat/v ... ht=gunning

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:17 pm

sometimes you see a house and know if you hesitate, it's gone. I would not even blink on this one. I'd be making on offer over the phone on the way to see it! that looks like a nice usonian who needs a good caretaker.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:21 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:44 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Colonel Flagg
Modern Fan

Postby Colonel Flagg » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:09 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”