Sliding door fabric

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sliding door fabric

Postby classic form » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:31 pm

I'm tired of looking at these doors and would like to hang something closer to what was up when the place was built or have them reproduced. Original fabric had silhouette of tree printed on them. I've contacted a few online business' that say they can't reproduce due to copyright (design is from the 50's and I'm sure is way past any problems) but they could have their artists interpret, thousands of dollars. I've searched for online fabrics that would be close but can't find anything.

We have all three original panels but they are damaged/ripped/holes. Conservation of the originals is also too cost prohibitive judging from the two companies I talked to, again, thousands.

Has anyone seen anything online that might be similar? Know of anyone that might be able to reproduce for a decent/honest price?

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm

I doubt a copyright exists for such a thing. Change a line here or there.

Beautiful. I would try the local university art dept. Illustration dept.
Or theatre dept. It's summer session. Kids need the cash.
Have you found similar fabric?
With the original as a reference, and a scrap bit of fabric, i bet a student
would be up for the challenge of trying a small test.
Special fabric paints are not as messy as the old days. If it is fabric dye, it
gets a bit tricky but still easier than it used to be. A wax resist line is drawn
as an outline first to prevent bleeding.

Could the originals be mounted on a stiff backing? with a heat sensitive
interfacing?

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Fabric is copyrighted just like art. The design on the fabric is considered art.

Now, that said, have you tried a silk screening company? I don't know if they can do something that large, but worth a shot. You could definitely have a graphic artist sketch you a similar tree and blow it up to the right size.

Also, I have a few friends that have used this business
http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome
to have their own fabric designs printed. I don't know if she can only print continuous designs, but maybe she could do one large design. Worth a try.
Allison

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Silk screening would cost a bit at that scale.
Unless all the panels are identical.

Copyright is another ball game when you are in classic's dilemma.
It is a personal restoration project. Not for resale. Even exact copies
would not raise an eyebrow. The artist of the fabric would not mind at all.

I'm an artist and a good bit of my work is forgery. With estate approval.
Often major art works and need to be done 1inch smaller, 1.5 inch bigger.

To relate more to this forum, if you copied a Charlie Harper image for
your kids room wall, the estate would be charmed by it. Best not to get a
big photo spread in a major mag, but it is no big deal.

If you copied for re-sale and continued to make money off his images,
you're a sh*t, and would get away with it for a very long time.

Litigation is a very long process.

Non of this applies here.

(if we were neighbors, I would do it for free. Your home needs those
panels back!)

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:56 pm

If local students, etc. aren't available as others have suggested, you might try Etsy. There is a section that allows you to request a custom item, and then people bid to do the job. There are thousands of people who use Etsy to sell their hand-made stuff, and likely some silk screeners or otherwise.

Just a thought, and maybe a long shot, but might be worth looking into.

Also, have you thought about a newer interpretation of the original fabric?

Here is a Marimekko print with a similar feel for $42/yd:

My neighborhood:

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:05 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:08 am

Rockland, I'm not sure what you are saying regarding mounting with a heat sensitive interfacing...can you elaborate for me? I'll try WMUs art dept. to see if anyone might be interested, there's also the Liberal arts Kalamazoo College. All three panels are the same, do you think a silkscreening company might be able to do this? I was thinking they were too large but I guess it's worth a check.
BTW, I thought we were all neighbors here:)

wwilber, I looked around online and found the Marimekko you linked too but thought that the repeat might be a little much...thanks for looking around for me:)
I'll try etsy, couldn't hurt. I think that the other mentioned companies will only do a yard and then repeat.

greenmod,kjasma, thanks for the links I'll check them out.

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:39 am

Allison

classic form

Postby classic form » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:16 pm

OK, what's a reverse batik? :)

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:43 pm

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:00 am

Allison

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”