Anyone have good pics of *new* white laminate countertops?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Anyone have good pics of *new* white laminate countertops?

Postby Panton-ite » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:21 pm

I wish marble or zodiaq was in the budget,....but it's not. I'm thinking of going classic white laminate with a fairly squared edge.

Anyone have pics from your house where you've done the same?

I know it will look period and authentic, I just want to make sure it won't look cheap.

Thanks.

widespread
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

white countertops

Postby widespread » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:02 am

You should take a look at home depot -- here they are currently running a special on corian -- $300 off with a minimum of 25 sp ft. They have a nice white for only $37 a sq ft in corian. I had it put in my kitchen and thought it turned out nice.. i'll post pics once i get the tile put up..

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:32 am

Post a pic of your kitchen and you'll get more assistance.
White laminate is classic. Can look great in a certain setting.
Mine is original from '62. Classic form has it as well.

Cut and paste any images you come across that you like. Visuals help.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:29 pm

In my opinion laminate tends to look less cheap when used with plain metal edge molding vs a laminate or rolled edge. I believe by the early sixties laminate edges were the more or less commonplace with metal edging becoming obsolete but I still prefer the latter.

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:42 pm

I am actually considering the Corian as well (I also saw the special!) I've seen it used in a few mid-century updated kitchen and it looks very sleek and modern. THe issue with the laminate (which I don't think is less expensive) is that you have the edge that is brownish/black. The corian is solid white. Its my own personal opinion, but I'm not crazy about the seemless sinks, I think I'd rather have a stainless sink drop in.
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

widespread
Modern Groupie

seamless sink - not a fan either

Postby widespread » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:59 pm

i'm not a fan of the seamless, built in sink. I went with a stainless steel undermount. I really like the corian look with no seams and simple edge treatment.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:58 am

I agree that if you went with squared edges the seams would definitely be more visible than you would like.

I have laminate in my kitchen (not white), but almost went with a white Corian myself. Home Depot was having a sale on the stuff when I bought my countertops, and with the discount, the price was almost comparable to the Formica I wound up buying.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:26 am

we love our white square edge laminate - it's now about 3 years old...

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:02 am

Alright, MM, I'll admit: that does look good! Makes the orange "pop" without being overpowering. (Your backsplash is awesome too.)

Are the seams as noticeable with the square edges as one might think? I don't know that I've ever actually looked on the occasions where I would have had the opportunity.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:55 pm

thanks perks,

we had original square edge white formica in the eichler, too - it is so clean looking and easy care and cheap - i cannot recommend it highly enough.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:02 pm

as you can see - the fondue pots on top seem to follow us wherever we live :-)

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:27 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:27 pm

they were smooth counters. in both the eichler and the p&k.
when we did our kitchen in our Vegas Palmer and Krisel, we used the same material from our eichler - smooth white formics with sharp edges. I love it - it is so easy to clean. as well as stylish...

the seams are not very visible at all if you have a top notch firm installing them.

http://www.vrbo.com/168433

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 am

Let me preface this by saying I grew up in the midwest where every house built from 1979 to 1990 came with almond square-edge Formica countertops. It was awful. Giant slabs of blandness.

FuturaGirl: Despite what I just said, the white counters work for you in your Las Vegas place. I still feel like there should be more contrast between the cabinets and counters, though.

On your Eichler, I think this is the one situation where white Formica is the perfect choice. Unlike your Las Vegas home, you have wonderful contrast between the birch and the Formica. Additionally, what really makes the white Formica "work" is the fact that the some of the cabinet sliders are white. Everything feels cohesive in the Eichler kitchen, but isn't too bland or predictable.

Just to prove how much the original Eichler kitchen works as a "system," if we were to replace the Eichler sliding doors with, say, mistlite glass instead, the white Formica would suddenly look too cheap and uninteresting.

While I generally eschew the "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" stone countertops, I do like something with a little visual interest. My neighbor just installed the white Caesarstone. He's not 100% happy with its durability but the look is stunning. It has just enough subtle detail and sparkle so that it doesn't look like a painted white wall. Right now my personal favorite countertop materials are: Concrete, Recycled Glass, Soapstone, Carrera Marble, Caesarstone, and solid wood...and I generally like the more subtle versions of each.

To the original poster: Counters are a fabrication effort no matter what material you choose. I would look around, scout out the sales, and get what you want. My neighbor with the Caesarstone got a killer deal (50% off) because he bought smartly. It was significantly less than granite.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:05 pm

My cabinets are the original walnut from 1956. I refinished the cabinets, but the original white laminate is too far gone. It's scratched all to crap and is just basically gross. We considered going with marble or quartz, but decided to go back with laminate. I think it really contrasts well with the walnut. The counter tops originally had a walnut edge that you can see in the pics and they're in pretty bad shape as well. The original owner/architect that we bought the house from said that his kitchen guy had left over walnut from the cabinet face frames, so he used some scraps as a counter top edging. I think a new clean, white, squared edge will look really great.

Sorry I'm rambling. We're just SO excited to finally be getting the kitchen done

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:31 pm

hey - i'm a sucker for white sparkly caesarstone, but there's a reason why formica is/was everywhere. it's affordable and it doesn't suck! familiarity can breed contempt i suppose, but i just love the stuff.

we put raymond lowey skylark design boomerang pattern formica in our downtown triplex that we restored (in red and grey)

panton-ite, your cabinets look positively glamourous. great job!

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 am

Futura Girl,

Thanks. I really like the speckled quartz as well, but we thought it would be too busy with the new 'classic white' speckled VCT floor we installed. For whatever reason, the original owners put these great walnut doors and face-frames in but left the inside of the cabinets as construction-grade plywood. For the cabinets with glass doors, I finished the inside with walnut. For the cabinets with solid doors, I sprayed the inside with a light blue alkyd paint. I was really inspired by the colored laminates KERF has been using on the inside of some of their cabinets.

I've been working my butt off for a year, so I thought I'd post a few more pics just for fun.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Looking good!

Nice touches with the walnut edges in the kitchen along with the blue interiors.

Your MCM furniture collection sits well in those spacious rooms.

Given your LoL name, was expecting to see a Panton piece somewhere :wink:
scowsa

alexforum
Modern Socialite

Postby alexforum » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:36 am

I can spot at least one piece by Panton: the Fun-series floor lamp standing next to the Florence Knoll sideboards...

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 am

scowsa,

Thanks. You can't really tell because of my crappy camera, but the walnut edging around the counter tops is actually in pretty bad shape. I have to replace the counter tops and I'm going to leave the edges off.

You're right about the Panton thing. Years ago, I used to be a huge Panton/Joe Columbo/space age fanatic. I kinda moved out of it. We still have a fun lamp, a couple Panton chairs, and some art...but not much. I've become a big Florence Knoll fan.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:54 am

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm

"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Panton-ite, your kitchen is amazing. I love the wood finger pulls. They look very Danish to me. I also really like the wood edging on your countertops.

Futura girl, what is that area with the metal ring between the butcher block/cutting board and the sink in your Eichler?

In our last home, we put in square edge Formica in an off-white/putty color. I came very close to doing a rounded edge, and at the last minute, my wife, who isn't near as interested/obsessed with this stuff as I am, told me we should do square edge. She was 100% right. Here's a (bad) picture of the counters:

We've since moved out of that house and in to a more modern 1954 house. The current counters are ugly tile that was put in after the original owners ripped out the original turquoise formica with wood edging. I think we're going to go back to the formica. My wife didn't really like the scuffs here and there that showed at the other house, but I just don't think anything else (caesarstone, concrete, etc) looks as good.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Here's a picture of our current kitchen. Again, sorry for the bad iphone picture. Panton-ite, the inside of our cabinets are a similar color. It matched the original formica counters, which are still in the laundry room.

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Today, I demo'd the old counter tops. Due to everyone's thoughts, I've saved the walnut edging to see how it looks when all is done.

By the way, 55-year-old greasy funkiness in the cracks and crevices of old counter tops in delightful. I only came close to vomiting once or twice...

dcgrl
Modern Groupie

Postby dcgrl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Futura Girl,
are those Applad cabs? if so, are they holding up? I've been browsing the forum and read someone's opinion that they are easily dinged. We're planning to use them in our upcoming reno, and would love to hear a review...

I think your kitchen, and your white formica, looks great!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:34 am

dcgrl: i think they were applad? we have only one chip on them that i know of so far after years of use. it's in a discrete place, so i have never bothered to patch it, although i tink there is some patching paint available someplace?

tim: i think that there must have been one of those in-counter blenders there. as those that have that particuar device know - it is very difficult to keep clean and often become an eyesore. especially when the blender doesn't work anymore. the previous owners simply cut out a nice square and replaced it with a very solid piece of obscure glass bounded by a stainless rim. It worked great as a cutting board and food prep area. it also helped to illuminate the dark cabinet area below at night!

panton-ite...good luck!!!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 am

synthsis
Modern Groupie

Postby synthsis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:11 am

I don't know if this is the vibe you want to go for but this is our kitchen. It's Formica in Virrvarr white with chrome edging from NY Metal.

Everything is new and available (at least it was when we built the kitchen 2 years ago)
I'm unemployed, follow my shenanigans here:
newfoundfreetime.blogspot.com

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”