Looking for wall hangings for my 1950's furnished condo

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

dinosratpack
Modern Fan

Looking for wall hangings for my 1950's furnished condo

Postby dinosratpack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:05 am

Hi everyone...new here. Was referred to this site and looks like a cool source for mid-century furniture and accessories from what I can see, so far.

Anyway, looking for some cool wall hangings like pictures with trapezoid frames made from etchwood, if that makes sense. I have some already, bit looking for more. Something like Carlo, but no ballerinas or dancers (sorry..ballerinas just aren't my thing). Anyway, maybe something with a tropical lagoon or desert scene. Trapezoid wrought iron frames look cool too, but not too common, at least with pictures in them. I'm hoping someone here is familiar with these type of wall hangings and might now where to get them.

Below are a few pictures of my place, so far. See what you think. I will post more as as I finish with some more remodeling
Living room 1

Living room 2 (walls are a little darker green, but flash made them light)

Some 50's jazz art mosic replicas I made from original designs

Trapezoid valace I made with silver fox finish (excuse the clutter on the top of the hi fi)

Close up of finish (black background with white rubbed in the grain)

Atomic 1957 pulldown lamp from Sears

Kitchen 1 (1953 GE fridge)

Kitchen 2 (1955 Wedgewood Monterrey model stove)

Not so good pic of bed and wall mount headboard (will take a better one soon)

1950's tripod nightstand lamps with new fiberglass shades.

dinosratpack
Modern Fan

Postby dinosratpack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Wow...37 hits and not one reply or comment. Is it that bad? :cry:

Hipster Haven
Modern Fan

Carlo Prints

Postby Hipster Haven » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:42 am

Though there are quite a few Ballerina pics

Have you seen the tropical ones also

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:47 am

Relax, it's a holiday weekend. Traffic is slow on all internet boards. It may take weeks to gets answers/comments. I personally know little about this vintage (beyond being old enough to remember it :oops: ) I did look for, and found, the panther in your collection. It may be that you have almost completely covered the style. Remember, actual interiors of this vintage would have been more eclectic, incorporating stuff from the previous era. You could easily pull some deco stuff into this mix.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:52 am

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:20 am

We have the panther from this series, but I've never seen another one.

You've done a great job with this place, all the details are terrific!

I love the valance you made. Is that ash? Did you do the cerused finish using white wax, I'd be interested in knowing how to achieve it.

The kitchen and appliances are great too!

You seem to have a lot of good wall art already...
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

niiiice place!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:07 pm

I think everything looks great. I love that 'mental hospital green' as a foundation, too. Nice kitchen, and your lamp is fab. You have some really good pieces-the shadow box is particularly nice. I love what you've done with the valance and curtains.
There is some dimensionality there which is good ( trapezoidal frames, texture, relief, etc.)

As for where to find things-keep your eyes open to garage sales, thrift shops, and larger antiques collectives. If you try and do your walls all at once, they will look too same-y. You should not have too hard a time finding more of the mosaic style wall art like you reproduced. But I think texture is your long suit, especially with the more monochromatic look you seem to seek. Give yourself some time to pull together a more eclectic collection-great advice to go slightly outside period to deco and more 40's styles.

We are really fond of period stuff and have waaaaay too much. One thing we notice is that folks tend to be afraid of color. Look at lots of period magazines-Better Homes and Gardens and Sunset are more geared towards regular folks and not too design-y for a small house or apartment. You may find lots of these thifting around.

No need to go overboard as we do- (these flickr shots are from our place)

But plates are fun, period and easy to do in themes (politcians, movie stars, states, etc.)-these are from Slim's mom.

Since Slim is a painter, we have to rotate our artwork to get more of it out and about.

Also get cozy online with lots of period photos:

http://www.plan59.com/

What about doing something with a wall unit and collections of things (would be neat if you kept it monochromatic, too!). Check out this boss office on plan 59:
Didja see the swell clock? That could be fun, too!

Flickr groups: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1950houselovers/

and most of all- take your time and have fun!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: niiiice place!

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:16 pm

ksjoyner
Modern Socialite

Postby ksjoyner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:44 pm

LOVE YOUR PAD! That sectional sofa is awesome.

Slim and Gabby

yeah joe!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:53 pm

Yessss...that office has way more going on than at first glance. Not just the interesting coffee table grouping, but also the light grouping in the window, the credenza under the window, the frames grouped in the wall units.

And its an office. Wow. Just wow. Lots to look at, eh?

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

dinosratpack
Modern Fan

Postby dinosratpack » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:46 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 pm

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:29 am

One of the best things about living in one of these houses -- or any open plan mid mod -- is that you can mix things up a bit. Right now our
dining area is a lounge with two swivel chairs, a sofa, and a coffee table. We’ve placed our dining table and chairs in the glassed in corner
where the “living room” usually is. Next week things might be different.

dinosratpack
Modern Fan

Postby dinosratpack » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:07 pm

dinosratpack
Modern Fan

Postby dinosratpack » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:24 pm

dinosratpack
Modern Fan

Re: niiiice place!

Postby dinosratpack » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:38 pm

dinosratpack
Modern Fan

Postby dinosratpack » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:44 pm

dinosratpack
Modern Fan

Postby dinosratpack » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:05 am

don't be afraid of what to put on those shelves!
If you thought you had clutter before, you should have plenty of ideas. Someone once told me if you have 3 of something, it's a collection. I'd prefer to think at least 6, or I am in deeeeeep trouble.

Slim doesn't like to see things looking too much like "collections"...he wants things to grow organically, which is never a problem around here. Clutter is us. I am open to more composed collections sorted by texture, type, color, whatever. I had a nice bunch of Hull and Shenandoah ceramic planters lined up on top of the linen closet, but the scheme/theme drove Slim nuts.
Now I keep my vintage scarves in them instead.

Dishes are pretty much my downfall. I used to have floor to ceiling shelves of Fiesta, Riviera, Bauer, etc. when I lived alone. Just play around grouping the goodies you don't have out, and you may be surprised what you come up with. You can always rotate different colors, themes, etc. and get different looks whenever you want.
You've got such a great foundation-the possiblities are endless.

And those couches are BOSS. I see the appeal of the daybed option, though. Nice work.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”