LB Cliff May landscaping project almost complete

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
merritt
Modern Socialite

LB Cliff May landscaping project almost complete

Postby merritt » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:36 pm

After working through plans for a good 10 months I finally got started on a big landscaping project on my Long Beach Cliff May. The construction (and destruction) work began back in June and now it is finally wrapping up. Over the weekend I took some new photos and I've got them up on .

I went to in Venice, CA for the project. They are a husband and wife architect and landscape architect with a love for the green movement. They drive hybrid cars and I make them, so I thought it was a fitting match. As with any project, it was hair pulling, but it has turned out great. However, one issue is that they really want me to add a shade structure over the deck, connecting between the living room and bedroom, but I am apprehensive. I like sun and I like the night sky... Any advice on that detail is appreciated.

The project involved tearing up the old driveway, swapping the garage door walls, adding a new driveway, installing new front and back fence, new door from the kitchen to the garage and finally new landscaping. The landscaping involved moving around some plants that already existed on the property and the addition of many more. Needless to say I'm ready to finally relax!

Before:
Flickr Set:

After:
Flickr Set:

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:44 pm

Merritt,

It looks great. I remember a while back you were asking how to handle the side entry to the garage. I think your solution of redoing it to be more inline with many of the other homes in the neighborhood greatly increases your lot usabilty.

I have to be honest and admit that I'm very envious of your sunken firepit lounge area.

As to the shade structure dilemma. I see where they're coming from regarding aesthetics. It's a toss up.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

dinosratpack
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: LB Cliff May landscaping project almost complete

Postby dinosratpack » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:59 pm

Before:
Flickr Set:

After:
Flickr Set: [/quote]

Very nice! I kind of like the wrap around driveway better, but I can now see how much more room you have. I hope the neighbors to the left follow suit.

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:26 pm

I did like having a big driveway previously because I do a lot with cars, but the shape of the space made it mostly unusable. Now there are two spaces in the garage and three in front. With the old fence and curved driveway getting into the far garage space was impossible without doing a 3 point (sometimes more) turn. Now there is a big tree that takes some space away from driveway exit, but there is still lots of space to move around parked cars.

I am enjoying having the front fence so much further towards the street. Now people can't peak over my fence and into my bedroom and living room.

I almost cut out the built in seating with the fire pit, but I realized I would like having a cool/warm place to sit and it could provide built in exercise benches. Plus the dog likes laying on it. It is nice having it step down in level from the ground as well.

I just can't wait for the plants to grow more. I keep staring at everything obsessively checking that all the plants are happy and worrying about anything that shows sign of stress. The good thing is that plucking stray grass out of flower beds is a great activity to satisfy obsessive compulsiveness.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:29 pm

I currently have a sort of lath house cover in my courtyard and can certainly
relate to wanting to see stars. Because mine is so old and termite eaten, I plan to remove it. I am thinking of replacing it with a retractable guy wire system with shade cloth. There are some examples of this in the old Cliff May "Sunset Western Ranch Houses" books. He even had them set up for the wealthy with block and tackle ropes to open and close them. I have a couple of links I can post once I get back to my own computer.

You sure have done a lot, I barely recognized the place! Nice work. What is the steel livestock watering unit used for?

Oh, remember, don't over water the low water use plants. That stuff will just seem to sit there and not grow much the first season. But next spring, you will be rewarded. And next summer, barely water at all. Low water stuff rots if watered when it would not get it naturally.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”