Circus peanuts.....

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Circus peanuts.....

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Okay, to me this, um, for lack of a better word, candy really sends me back to my childhood. Not that I actually like these things, but there's something endearing about knowing they exist somehow. I only need to think about them and I'm hurtled back to the late 1960's

Here's a quote from Wiki:

"In 1963, General Mills vice president John Holahan inventively discovered that Circus Peanuts shavings yielded a tasty enhancement to his breakfast cereal. General Mills formalized the innovation and created Lucky Charms, the first breakfast cereal to contain marshmallow bits (or "marbits")"

Apparently they're banana flavored. I think most people believe that this is THE worst candy ever conceived. Gabby has a theory that only one batch was ever made...have you ever seen anyone actually eat one in its entirety, yes people taste them, but think about it?
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Gnomus
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Gnomus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:04 am

At the risk of getting zapped off to some alternate universe with no candy (see Utopian? thread), I think I have to step in here in defense of the lowly Circus Peanut. They are far from the worst candy I've ever tasted, an honor I reserve for Good n' Plenty.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:37 pm

I can't argue with you in regards to Good n' Plenty's graphic design work. Brilliant stuff. Awful candy, but great design/logo, etc.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 pm

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks, Chris, that really rings the bell.

Getting back to the circus peanuts, though, Slim, it appears that you can still buy these things ( http://www.oldtimecandy.com/circus-peanuts.htm ) and their "banana inspired" flavor. How bad can they be if they are still making them .. or I suppose they could still be selling 30 year old surplus. (I think the stick gum that used to be packaged with baseball cards in the 50s and 60s probably predated Honus Wagner's playing days, and I survived that. So don't be afraid - go for it!)

Java
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Java » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:25 am

I'm surprised you haven't dived into the "fresh Circus Peanuts vs. stale Circus Peanuts, which tastes better?" debate.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Fresh...stale?!?!?!?!?!? Hugh? That's a joke right! Um, they start out stale: perhaps you're thinking about the special ones developed by the Marine Corps in the 1960's that were inserted into flak vests that double flotation and anti fragmentation... or the ones used by NASA to replace the broken and chipped thermal tiles on the space shuttle while in orbit...
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”