Show us your modern christmas tree!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Not until the first snowfall.. .tomorrow!
It's been balmy in NYC all fall.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Ours is a traditional tree, so I'll spare you that.

But I did notice something very interesting on our Tweety Bird ornament - check out the bottom of his sleigh ... does that look like the sign of the devil to you?

jakabedy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jakabedy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:41 am

OK. Me, too. We're in mid-kitchen reno and the standard tree location is awash in cabinets and boxes. If we're done by next weekend with the cabinet part of the install, I might convince DH to put it up. But that will take a lot of convincing!

Here was last year:

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 pm

My wife likes the green ones better, but this this year it was my turn to dig out the old Everlast... Now to get the color wheel working!

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:53 pm

This tree was my Grandmother's and so were most of the ornaments.

ksjoyner
Modern Socialite

Postby ksjoyner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:31 pm

Not sure why I can't get my images to post - but here's my tree.

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz341/ksjoyner/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:54 pm

I just had to share this. My grandson took his Disneyland train over to his other grandparents house to put it around under their (fake) tree. Now Disney also has a monorail set and he has that as well (kid is crazy for trains) His mom suggested that under their tree. He did not like that idea it somehow seemed wrong to his four year old mind. However, my very aged mind thought: how great of an idea is that for under an aluminum tree?

http://www.disneystore.com/toys-disney- ... 155/70995/

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 pm

LOOVE the monorail idea. We have an old Riggi Swiss style tram that would be great going into the tree, but with aluminum, 'lectric goodies are out....So cute though!
Here's a pix of the tree with our wacky faux fox stole tree skirt. Don't ask-we was just inspired to make it. And yes, that is Slim's art in the background. Festive with the pom pom tree I think.

I have to renew my quest for more reindeer, as I think it's highly implausible that just one could do the job-these are over the garage:

And silly as it is, I like pink bear with the pink tree. Doesn't he just look so darned sincere? Awwww....

At Casa de los Osos, we think Christmas is a great reason for...more STUFF!

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Keepin' it simple

Visit my Blog

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:37 am

Jesgord-
you are always such a classy counterexample! I love the contrast between our totally over the top-ness and your aesthetic.

Oh, and that sofa is GORGEOUS...don't think I'd seen the rear view.

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:21 am

I think I talked the wife into an aluminum tree! I had one growing up with red balls and a color wheel.

Now I search for one for Christmas 2010 (we already have a live one this year)

any brands to look out for? I really like the shape of jesgord's and perk's trees.

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:20 pm

Don't know much about the various brands...But mine's an Everlast tree with the pom-poms. I do like the shape of it better than a lot of the other ones I've seen. I saw a nice one from the "United States Silver Tree Company" on eBay just now that looks similar to mine as well.

You might wait til a few months after the holidays, say May or June, before you buy one. They're still not exactly cheap then, but prices seem to spike as Christmas approaches...

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Price is usually based on the height and number of branches a tree has. The more branches, the fuller the appearance. An extra premium is also payed for "pom pom" trees which have "pom poms" at the end of the branches (like Perk's tree). My tree is a "deluxe" 6.5 ft evergleem with @ 100 branches (no Pom Poms) I have a second tree that is the same size with Pom Poms, but fewer branches-@ 85 I think. Both were purchased at yard sales over the last 5 years. I missed a third one priced at $15.00 at a yard sale over the summer. The person who got it was literally one step ahead of me :cry:
Visit my Blog

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:47 pm

I think they are all great, but I do especially like ours (see page 2 of this thread). It is a 7" Imperial Arctic Star by Tomar. It has 144 branches with pom poms, with various lengths so the tree tapers.

The photo below is a picture I took of our tree that was photoshopped into last year's article on aluminum trees in CA Modern magazine. Wish I had the house they used too, but at least our tree is almost famous. I think it looks nice - I'm just sayin'!

My neighborhood:

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:31 am

Impresive, wwilber! They did a great job; it looks quite natural, and it really matches the house well.

I'd probably have gotten a larger one like yours if I'd had more room. That tree would totally dominate my living room!

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:23 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:26 pm

Here's a list of makers from the Aluminum Christmas Tree Museum. Their sight does leave a bit to be desired.

Visit my Blog

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:26 am

Here is our aluminum tree, with "The Blizzard of 2009" out the window...
Image Image
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 am

Ours is a peco with pom poms, but it is kinda small. Fits our crowded little house better anyway.

We saw two trees out antiquing yesterday.
One was another peco, but taller than ours, going for I think $125. If you contact them, it was in one of the back rooms on the main floor. Still in original box.

it was at this place....
Rich Man Poor Man Antique Mall
146 N Ocean Ave Frnt
Cayucos, CA 93430
(805) 995-3631
http://www.richmanpoormancayucos.com/

The other was GORGEOUS.....not sure the brand, looked to be over 6 feet, very wide aluminum 'needles' and heavier than usual. Super sparkly. With a nice color wheel, I think it was about $325. Really exceptional.

This place has TWO stores. I am pretty sure it was at the one story one farther down the street.
Remember When Antiques
152 N Ocean Ave
Cayucos, CA 93430
(805) 995-1232
Remember When Too! ....the annex is the one that had the tree...
36 N. Ocean Ave.
(805) 995-2074

Pretty sure these folks would sell over the phone, but worth a try if you are inclined. The wider one was unique-I've not seen one as nice anywhere.

Here's more on antiques in Cayucos:
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=Cay ... t=antiques

And echoing others- the price spikes for trees on ebay in the season. I made a note to buy ours in the summer. Everyone lauged at me but it was only about $45 if I recall correctly.

Happy Hunting!
Gabby

Uncle Atom
Modern Groupie

Postby Uncle Atom » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:37 pm

We set ours up for the first time this year and really enjoyed it. I like that Disney monorail idea, may have to look for one of those.

Visit my Uncle Atom blog
http://atomicuncle.blogspot.com/

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Postby BAZ_MCM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Enjoy.

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Get some more: http://www.atomicindy.com/2010/12/alumi ... trees.html

Cheers,

-Baz
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

hannah
Modern Socialite

Postby hannah » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:36 pm

This is my 'aging hippie' on her way back to MCM family days" Christmas, 2 years ago.

I purchased this tree off eBay (w/ original box) for $50 from someone in Canada. This after watching vintage aluminum trees on eBay for years to the tune of $100-200 or more. In some odd stroke of luck no one else saw the auctiion, and I won. It arrived a week after Christmas that year, but this is her in all her glory the following year. I found the seller in my history and sent her these pics.

Funny note, I had it in my mind to do the tree in lime green and turquoise...EVERYTHING that year came together, including wrapping paper, ribbons, table decor - it was just weird! After we close on our little ranch house, I think next year I want to do orange and green? Orange and pink??? Orange and, something!! We're all packed now, so no tree this year. :(

It may not look like it, but at the molecular level I'm actually quite busy.

johnnyapollo

Decorations 2010

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:31 am

I noticed the images of the tree I originally put up are now all dead so here are some fresh ones - basically the same stuff only with some newer kitchy ornaments...

My Favorite Ornament:

The Devil Made Me Do It:

Corpse Bride:

Since my wife is a Jew she allows me to put up these "Chanukah Bushes" to humor me...

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:30 pm

My girls and a friend finished up the tree last weejend :)

Visit my Blog

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”