Bob's Big Boy is back

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Bob's Big Boy is back

Postby nichols » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:14 pm

When one door closes, another one opens...
LOS ANGELES TIMES

Big Boy returns in all its Googie glory

After lapsing into decline, the roadside restaurants are making a return.
By Jia-Rui Chong, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 22, 2008

...when it comes to classic Los Angeles roadside attractions, few can top the smiling boy in the red checkered overalls hoisting a towering burger above his shoulder.

Aficionados of Bob's Big Boy hamburger chain have been mourning the beloved outpost on Wilshire Boulevard near La Brea Avenue. The Big Boy on Wilshire closed at the end of July and is now more than 80% demolished, said Chris Nichols, chairman emeritus of the Modern Committee of the Los Angeles Conservancy and author of a book on Wayne McAllister, who designed many well-known Big Boy coffee shops.

But a new Bob's Big Boy is taking hold.

The new Big Boy in Downey is being built on the site of Johnie's Broiler, which in its heyday was the largest carhop drive-in ever built in California. The new owner plans to restore the original 1958 plans, cleaning up the mess from the partial demolition of the coffee shop in January 2007.

The Downey location could open as a Big Boy early next year....

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 8152.story

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8384
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8652

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm really glad Bob's is restoring and moving into Johnie's/Harvey's Broiler. I can't wait for it to open. But that only leaves two original Bob's locations, Toluca Lake and Glendale, right? Shame to lose the third.

And speaking of Glendale Bob's, I really wish they'd give their Big Boy statues a little attention. They're looking really bad.

They look even worse in person. With the indoor one, you can see all the old hair and skintones showing through missing layers of paint, and has been like that for years. I'm always tempted to get the right kind of paint and come give them a touch-up, just because nobody else will.

But anyway, back to Downey...

I imagine they'll change the "Johnie's Broiler" sign to "Bob's Big Boy Broiler" to keep the "Broiler" part of the sign intact, squeezing "Big Boy" into two lines, like
BIG
BOY

Anyone have any info or better guesses on how they'll handle converting the signage?

It would have been nice if they had gotten the Big Boy statue from Wilshire, to link the old with the new.

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Big Boy's Back!

Postby scottkaycee » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:13 pm

"You know in many ways Big Boy has never left, he still offers the same high quality food at competitive prices......"

Diamond Bar, Ca 60 Freeway @ Brea Canyon Road

a remuddled "original" Chula Vista Bob's. Beneath the tacky brass and Oak Veneer and dropped ceiling no doubt rests the remains of a fine "warmed up coffee shop" style Bob's, but atleast you are eating at a "real" Bob's and not the checkered Diner redos you find in Calimesa & Hesperia.

Barstow has a great Bob's in an old Harvey House A-frame building, while not an original the A-frame is very sympathetic to the Big Boy aesthetic

I'm getting hungry.....
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

Cyclone Kevin
Modern Fan

"You know in many ways Big Boy has never left"

Postby Cyclone Kevin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:02 am

All Roads Lead to The Broiler!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:10 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:31 pm

Here's a current list of all the Bob's stores in greater Los Angeles. I'm glad to post more as I hear of openings.

Bob's Big Boy
1407 W Glenoaks Boulevard Glendale, CA

Bob's Big Boy
4211 W Riverside Drive Burbank, CA

Bob's Big Boy
24021 Hawthorne Boulevard Torrance, CA

Bob Big Boy
1898 E Willow Street Signal Hill, CA

Bob's Big Boy
21090 Golden Springs Drive Diamond Bar, CA

Bob's Big Boy
21090 Golden Springs Drive Walnut, CA

Bob's Big Boy
2191 S Harbor Boulevard Anaheim, CA

Bob's Big Boy
12728 Main Street Hesperia, CA

Bob's Big Boy
201 E Valley Boulevard Colton, CA

Bob's Big Boy
540 Sandalwood Drive Calimesa, CA

Bob's Big Boy
27313 Jefferson Avenue Temecula, CA

Bob's Big Boy No 153
23441 Golden Springs Drive Diamond Bar, CA

Bob's Big Boy
2860 Lenwood Road Barstow, CA

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:28 pm

surffnutt3000
Modern Fan

Postby surffnutt3000 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:33 pm

Cyclone Kevin
Modern Fan

Postby Cyclone Kevin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 pm

All Roads Lead to The Broiler!

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:15 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:09 pm

The Glendale store is the same "Chula Vista" model as the Wilshire Bob's that recently came down:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8652

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Hubby remembers that the Bob's #2, the Burbank one on San Fernando, had closed in the mid-70s and moved to the Glenoaks location, with "We Are Moving" signs. So, in a way, that was Bob's #2 that just closed. Well... kind of.

Lalife says that the ex-Bob's corporate HQ on Colorado was built in 1949, making it contemporary to the Toluca Lake Bob's, so it very well could have been a McAllister.

And I like this mailbox in the Northridge area:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/ ... ailbox.jpg

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:44 am

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Cool! A new Pasadena Bob's! Is that little photo the old Bob's that used to be across from Fedco?

IIRC, Bob's had been bought from Marriott by the company that owned Coco's/Carrow's, who closed all but a handful of Big Boys, with most of the locations taken over by one of the other two brands. They wanted the buildings, not the name or the menu or the chubby mascot. But now I'm seeing more and more Coco's and Carrow's closing everywhere, while Bob's is making a comeback.

There's a new Bob's Big Boy in Sun Valley right off the 5 at Sunland, at what used to be Dimion's restaurant, and another in Northridge at Corbin and Nordhoff Way, at what used to be a store, then a wine bar. Both seem to be doing great. I haven't been to Northridge or even Downey yet, but I actually like the burgers and especially the Hot Fudge Cake at Sun Valley better than Burbank. No carhop service, though.

Here's the reason for the Glendale location closing, and the aftermath:
http://www.glendalenewspress.com/articl ... -bob10.txt
http://www.glendalenewspress.com/articl ... bobs26.txt
http://www.glendalenewspress.com/articl ... 082709.txt

Ironic that, at the same time that Bob's is starting to flourish again in So Cal, the owner of the Glendale one threw away their franchise by not wanting to sign a contract or spend a dime of upkeep, in order that he could shut it down as soon as he wanted. So it eventually becomes so bad that corporate can no longer ignore the fact that it's "substandard." The "recession" excuse is obviously bogus, as he'd been refusing long-term contracts for years, long before the start of the recession. Now the struggling "Glenoaks Cafe" that replaced it is closed, waiting for the okay to turn it into a banquet hall. Just what Glendale needs, its bamillionth banquet hall, instead of our last Big Boy. What an idiot. Hope he fails, but I hope he also notices how much money other people are making off of decently-run and maintained Big Boys.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:19 pm

SAN DIEGO UNION TRIBUNE

The Boys are back
Bob's hopes to feed hunger for nostalgia
BY LORI WEISBERG
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2009 AT MIDNIGHT

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/200 ... -are-back/

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:20 am

All of this talk of Bob's is making me hungry!

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:38 am

I was just in Kyoto and saw a Big Boy restaurant there! I'll post a picture when I get them on my computer.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:54 am

Here's the picture

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:44 am

He doesn't seem to be quite as jolly as his American cousin - and what's that on his tray? Doesn't look like the Big Boy hamburger I know and love.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:56 am

Yeah, I think it's hamburg AKA Salisbury steak.
And he has brown eyes!

Here's a different shot that's huge:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2769/414 ... 800e_o.jpg

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Howzabout this video of Bob's Burbank...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rvpiDxOmsE

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:49 pm

now I am hungry, thanks!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:45 pm

I took a peek at the new Pasadena location yesterday.

OC REGISTER

"...City officials are reviewing his plans to convert a 3,600-square foot Baja Fresh on East Del Mar Boulevard to a diner that would mirror the retro look of the 1949 Bob’s in Burbank..."

http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/200 ... boy/38497/

Um... not.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”