kitchen glass backsplash help

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cougarider
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

kitchen glass backsplash help

Postby cougarider » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:34 pm

I'm adding a glass backsplash to mid century kitchen. I am having the granite bumper removed and I'm installing the backsplash down to the countertop. Here's the question: Would I add the backsplash to JUST the back wall or have it wrap on the left side of the wall as well? Please help. Ofcourse I would have to refinish and paint the wall were the bumper was removed if I did not have the tile wrap to the left wall pictured. Thanks
Jorge

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:05 pm

I just saw a situation like this in Paul Kaplan's Palm Springs listings he just posted. Go here, and look at the kitchen:

http://www.3552CaminoRojos.com/

In that case, the splash that matches the counter is to the side.
Last edited by egads on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:02 pm

thanks. This is identical to my situation. I't good to see a visual. Not sure if I like the way it looks though. Thanks, Jorge

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:02 pm

I agree with egads. Anywhere there's currently a bumper...there should be backsplash.

The only exception to this is if you were the backwall as a deviating feature wall. But even then, exposed drywall at countertop level is a bit risky.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:08 pm

A "bumper" is a backsplash. they just come (are made) in different heights. Glass or mosaic tile is just full height option. (usually) I have never heard the term bumper before.

I was not really suggesting it. But in a way it may be the best choice. Interior design is all about focus. Drawing the eye where you want. If bringing the full height out to the side will draw the eye and having a low splash keeps it focused to the back then that's best. In any case you could add the side later. Just barely attach the side splash for now and make sure you have enough tile to do the side.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:44 am

We're taking the feature wall option. Our cooking "alcove" has 31" on either side of the range, and there are no upper cabinets in the alcove. Our plan is to have no backsplash at all on the return walls. But we're a few weeks from being able to install it (countertop fabrication issues) so I have no photos for you.

If we hate it, I suppose we'll just bite the bullet and buy about 12 more square feet of tile for the return walls. But then the ceiling will look pale . . .
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:20 am

My tuppence worth.

If your set-up is truly the same as that Palm Springs kitchen, then the fact that the left hand wall stops at a corner means you have a natural place to stop the side tile, so I would go with that.
scowsa

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:15 pm

My two cents- I think it would be cool to take the mosaic tile to where the bumper ends on the side....I think it looks just more finished. Ideally, I owuld take it all the way up to the ceiling! But if you're on a budget, then I would take it up to the edge of the bottom of the cabinet
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:21 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:51 pm

My 50 cents. It is not a mid-century kitchen.
It is a '90's flip.
So much talent here is trying to help.
No hope. A bit of this and that is just a re-muddle.
Accept it as is. Wait till you have the money and start over.

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Rockland: the house is a re-muddle and I paid for that re-muddle in the initial cost of the house. With that said, it's a new kitchen and I'm not going to tear up what I already paid for if it's new. I'll let the next owners deal with that if they'd like. The house was built in 1955 and I just want to give the kitchen a little modern look.

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Paul: I never thought of taking it up to the ceiling. Sounds great but budget is a issue. At 32.00 a foot I'll take the other option of just bringing it out to the end of the counter.

Pics will be posted late this week early next.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:28 am

What will you use at the exposed edge? Most glass tiles don't have a bullnose option, so you will have to address that raw edge in some way. Our tile is a mosaic in a staggered brick pattern, which means cutting tiny tiles at the edge. That can be buried in an inside corner, but would be prominent at the edge of a return wall. That's part of the reason we are putting the tile on the back wall only -- that, the price, and the look of the single wall of tile.

There are hundreds of thousands of people across the country who don't have tile backsplashes -- semi-gloss paint is washable. And if going pure non-custom MCM is a consideration (not our personal choice, either), then gluing up a clean sheet of laminate is the way to go, anyway.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:57 am

A few $.01s--

You may as well leave the "bumper" and just tile in the alcove behind the stove. If you take out the granite backspash, you will likely have to fix the drywall you damage removing the granite. You also avoid the unknown, which is whether the tile will cover the gap between the granite and the drywall.

As mentioned previosly, the glass tile does not have a finished edge, so stopping it at a corner is the best option.

Also, make sure to extend the tile down behind the range so that you do not see drywall back there (pet peeve).

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:17 am

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:57 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:18 pm

scowsa

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:33 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:03 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:23 pm

wow, glad I stayed out of this one 8-)

I didn't realize things went south until MM posted, oops!

elleno
Modern Groupie

Postby elleno » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi, how about leaving the granite as is & just painting the cabinets & walls & changing out the hardware? I think that would make a big difference & wouldn't need a glass tile backsplash!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”