My MCM's Architect

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
diyer
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My MCM's Architect

Postby diyer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:25 pm

For those w/ some knowledge of SFV history, I'm trying to figure out who designed my MCM. I'm on ElCaballero Dr in Tarzana....most homes in my neighborhood are traditional, but I've seen at least 3 nearby that (from the ext) look very similar to mine (u-shaped w/ atrium entrance). Built in the early 60s. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Your local Department of Buildings might have original plans on file.
Visit my Blog

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Go here and request the original building permit. It will take about 30 minutes and cost less than $5. But you have to go M-F, 9-5.

City of Los Angeles: Van Nuys Field Office
www.lacity.org
6240 Sylmar Ave
Los Angeles, CA 91401
(818) 778-4990

There's a nice modern number at 4600 El Caballero that was built in 1961. That would be a good year to check in the permits. Hopefully the architects marked their name on that original permit and we can get you their bio.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Hmm, perhaps you live in a late phase of CABALLERO HILLS.

diyer
Modern Groupie

Postby diyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:18 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 am

If it is indeed Caballero Hills, the "designer-builder" was Willard Woodrow.

diyer
Modern Groupie

Postby diyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:34 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Home styles in the Caballero Hills tract are described as "Hawaiian," "Pacifico," "Japanese," "Traditional" and "Contemporary." A lot of the original architects I've talked to say how impossible it was to get a bank loan when you were presenting nontraditional styles.

diyer
Modern Groupie

Postby diyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:53 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Interesting about what the architects said. I have heard this before. It seems that modern didn't really fall out of style or even fail to catch on. Rather lenders had no imagination. Or taste. They are still at it based on the Taco Bell tracts currently being built. They are full of useless rooms just because lenders feel they are needed for "value"

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”