Any "attractive" programmable thermostats out ther

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
arnoneh
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Any "attractive" programmable thermostats out ther

Postby arnoneh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:19 pm

this is mine. not a lot to choose from. I don't think it's too distracting. It's on a white wall, so it doesn't stand out. I am sure it could be painted if needed. It works well, which is more important.

http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/hon ... mostat.htm

seen on far wall by door:

BTW, welcome to LL! Let's see this house already!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:37 pm

To successfully paint plastic, use a spray can made for auto interior plastics.
As Joe says, the best you are going to be able to do is plain looking. Do check with whoever services your system to confirm compatibility.

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:22 pm

There's this Honeywell, with metal finish and changeable covers:
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH2520 ... 12&sr=8-17

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:48 am

If you wanted to keep the original look there is another possibility here. Gut it and install a sensor leading to a remote "control center" hidden away in the furnace/boiler room. You should be able to use the same two wires that your existing stat is using. In fact, you may not have to gut all that much to make room for the sensor. The only down side is not being able to walk up to the stat and make an on the fly adjustment. I guess there is another down side...not all that cheap. Many companies make this type of system especially for zoned applications.

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:50 am

Oh yea, forgot to mention...we like pics:)

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:47 am

I like the honeywell! I've never liked mine that came with the house.
We have lower and upper zone as well. The lower doesn't matter to me
but the upper is on a vintage Pucchi-esque fabric covered wall
:D .
I've considered covering it since the sensors are on the sides. and i have
some fabric scraps the OPO's left.
The honeywell seems the easiest to customize.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:52 am

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:48 am

Does it have to be wired in? Our honeywell isn't wired, so we didn't put it on the wall. It just sits on top of a shelf in the living room and doesn't show at all. When we want to read it, we just pick it up and look at it. It keeps the three year old from adjusting the heat up to 80.
Allison

rogerT
Modern Fan

Postby rogerT » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”