Consumer reports interior paint review

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cougarider
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Consumer reports interior paint review

Postby cougarider » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:11 am

I'm about to paint the whole interior of my house. I've been researching paint and colors for a few weeks now. A neighbor turned me on to Sherwin Williams. Another neighbor showed me the consumer reports on Sherwin Williams being listed as almost last while Behr and Valspar being at the top. The neighbor that rec. Sherwin Williams said that Home Depot and Lowes may have had more an influence on the rating because of advertising and sales. "Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are professional grade and not a consumer product" said one neighbor that is in the biz. I'd list the link for Consumer Reports but you need a subscription to view. Any thoughts on these brands?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 am

recently discussed here: http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=16005

whenever I read a consumer report, I always check who sponsored it. word of mouth from a friend or neighbor seems to be worth more. Personally, I have had success with Behr and Glidden. Never used SW, but I am sure it's fine. others may disagree.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 am

I think paint formulations have come a long way.

Just for the record, Consumer Reports does not accept advertising and they buy all of their products from the store (ie: no doctored evaluation samples).

In my experience, Behr is pretty good quality as a paint formulation, but their colors aren't as good as Dunn Edwards, for example. The Behr "ultimate" exterior paint is very high quality, but too thick to use in the sprayer.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:30 pm

In the old days, paint quality was a big deal. Now paint is regulated so much that it's all the same at it's root. Here in California, the air quality management agency and state EPA regulate paint a lot. While I doubt Texas is on board so to speak, many companies only make one formula. However, most companies do make different grades. But is all good. Some may be "better" but that can really be personal. The formula made for a place like Home Depot may be different than that made for a paint store. At HD for instance, the Glidden is like water compared to the Behr. But it is made for a different customer. Some people want thin crappy paint because they are repainting a rental unit every couple of years. (or they are just cheap) The Behr super scrub on the other hand is so good you cannot clean up a spill very well if it dries. That can be exactly what you wanted or a PITA. I personally have never seen anyone regularly wash walls. But they all seem to want to use a paint that is washable! The low sheen and eggshell may offer washability, but they are impossible to touch up and look like crap if the wall surface is not perfect. Even a low sheen will introduce reflections that are not desirable in a MCM house with lots of windows. Unintended consequences can happen if you do not select carefully. I like the shadows I get from my open beam ceilings. Reflections would look ghetto to me, mostly because cheap latex semi-gloss is what cheap apartments are painted with.

Finally this: paint failure is always a result of application method. If it does not take twice as long to prepare to paint as it does to do so, you are doing it wrong. Primers are critical on new surfaces, redone and repaired surfaces and solving problems like staining. A tinted primer is always a good idea if one is radically changing colors. When rolling walls, method is important. You don't want to leave roller marks. Laying off, the procedure of running the entire length of a surface is as important when rolling walls as it is when painting woodwork and doors. For trim, I actually like old fashion oil base enamel. Here in CA it's hard to get now. But I find that the sheen tends to lessen with age and it is really easy to touch up. A little dab to cover a nick will only show about two-three weeks, try that with low luster latex!

My preferred brand is Dunn Edwards. Their products come in several grades for several purposes. Product data sheets are available that will tell you many things, including sheen. But the truth is, I'm almost as likely to just go get some Behr at HD. I even used watery Glidden once in my daughter's room as she tended to change colors.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Dunn Edwards is only sold in Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, and Texas.

I would have used it if it were available up here.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:13 pm

In Texas, there are only two stores, both in El Paso.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

When

Postby modfan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:40 pm

the trim on my previous house needed painting, the painter used Behr.
He did a few homes in the PUD and they all used Behr paint.
Seemed to be in pretty good condition after 3 years when I moved out in 05.
And as another commenter mentioned application is key you need to prep your surfaces and do need a primer, some other folks in the PUD didn't bother with it and their paint job looked crappy less than a year later.
Oops sorry this was an exterior so I dunno if that makes any difference when doing the interior.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 am

I only use Benjamin Moore. Consistently superior in all their finishes.
Their primer, Fresh Start, is also better than all i have tried. Except for
a few specialty primers.

I've been forced to use other paints in a pinch. Always frustrating.

Panton-ite
Modern Socialite

Postby Panton-ite » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:30 am

I've tried just about everything. I've also spent many years painting on the side for extra money as well as renovating several houses. My experience has been that Sherwin Williams and Porter are the best interior paints. They have the best colors, cover the best, apply the easiest, and dry very even. I'm currently painting every room in my renovation, and I'm using Sherwin Williams Super Paint in satin.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:52 pm

I have recently used Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, and Behr for different jobs. They were all fine.

I did start to use the in house brand of a hardware chain and it was like trying to paint with milk. Bailed on it.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”