Somewhat odd CA question...

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tomb
Modern Master

Somewhat odd CA question...

Postby tomb » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 am

Book time, please bear with me.

My wife and I were recently discussing long term plans (5-10 years plus) and the subject of moving came up.
You see, my wife has a chronic health condition that gets magnified by barometric changes, and we live in MICHIGAN of all places... :roll:
He doctor has told her for years "move, it might help".
So we came to he conclusion of heading west eventually and she says "if we go, were not going unless its California." Her mother lived in San Diego during my wife's formative years, and she spent many summers there and has been itchin to go back since.

So, in the spirit of long term planning I’m trying to get a feel for some good, general areas in CA that would not have a large amount of barometric variation. Of course being near (hour or so drive, max) the ocean is always a plus, but not 100% percent necessary.
I am well aware of sticker shock and the difference of cost of living in MI vs CA, and I have no illusions of jumping right back into a house upon moving...
I love my house, but I love my wife more... SO, what say you, Lotta Living?

The deal is CA only. I brought up AZ, TX, NM and NV. Not an option.

Gnomus
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Gnomus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:31 am

According to WiseGeek.com:

"On the mainland, San Diego, California experiences the least amount of pressure changes. Its barometric pressure ranges from 29.37 to 30.53 inches in mercury (994.58 to 1033.86 millibars)."

You'd have to go to Honolulu to do better in the whole US of A, so you've got it narrowed down to the right place. I've only visited SD on occasion and can't really talk about it as a community, so I'll leave that for others to fill in.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:37 pm

We had a poster a long while back who's husband was given the chance to relocate to Encinitas. She went from: "oh my god I could live at the beach!" to "I can't afford to live at the beach and will be stuck in a tract house inland with the A/C on" However, she had kids & school districts to think about. I think I suggested a tiny beach house. California real estate has fallen, but only to about year 2000 prices, maybe a quarter to a third lower.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”