Need creative ideas for our small kitchen

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sealuxe
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Need creative ideas for our small kitchen

Postby Sealuxe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:02 am

The time has come to start our kitchen remodel. Since our last post we removed a L-shaped wetbar and a brick pony wall that surrounded the stove (we are stoveless right now). Thought I wanted to keep brick wall but now that it's gone I think it's much better.

We would like the kitchen to be unique and fit the funky vibe of the house. We would also like to somehow add some glass on the wall where the cabinets are located. Nothing huge of course because there is not much space. The yard where the kids plays is directly behind the cabinet wall adjacent to the windows. I think some glass of some sort would also enhance the exterior look because from the outside the back of the kitchen is just kinda, Blaw. Anyway if anyone has some ideas to throw out there we'd greatly appreciate it.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 am

I normally don't recommend Dwell for anything, but their recent issues on small spaces might be helpful in generating ideas.

canyon house in dwell a few issue back, a remodel/rebuild of a rodney walker house

rather than having a dedicated table, maybe a combination island-eating counter. you'll have space to eat on and extra storage.

do you have outdoor living area? an outdoor kitchen is handy too.
Last edited by Joe on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 am

I like Joe's idea of the eating area. a small fixed island with a sink may be nice, then the table could but up to that.... or a cantilevered concrete surface for the table (maybe oval, circle or rectangle). That would allow you to center a cook top or a range on the back wall. It's going to be hard to fit all of the components in the small L.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:14 am

also check out some of the smaller kitchens in some of the MHA homes designed by A. Quincy Jones

search "jones mha" on flickr.com and you'll find many

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:49 pm

We also had the pony wall issue. But our range was on the rear wall and the sink on the pony wall side of our galley, so we didn't have to worry about venting on the island side. Ours was wrapped in brick on the front (with planter boxes on top) and wooden walls on the side that all extended about 9" above the countertop. Our decision was lose the side walls and planter boxes and take down 3 courses of brick to allow for a flat (and deeper, once we built it out a bit) countertop.

It's a little bit original, and a little bit Dwell. And it works for us.

Is that a wall oven on the right side of your kitchen? What if you lost that and put the range on that side. Then you could have an island that wouldn't require water, venting or electricity (if not permanently attached).

Ours before:

Ours after:
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Re-Modern
Modern Fan

Re: Need creative ideas for our small kitchen

Postby Re-Modern » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Here's the kitchen and back of kitchen from exterior view. We are thinking of adding a 10'x2' window on the back wall where the backsplash would normally be located. We could then see out to the sideyard where the kids actually play. Sent email, Re-Modern

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Joe pretty much nailed it in what you should look for.
Difficult though! So many choices and such a small area.
I prefer and have a small kitchen. The organization must be
very creative and storage options are more valuable than the sq
footage.
I looked for some visuals but so many crappy kitchens out there.
I stumbled on this blog. They have gone through so much and have
hung onto a sense of humor about it.
Somewhere is their kitchen renovation for inspiration...
http://greshamrummerfun.blogspot.com/

Could your table set-up move to the other side of the door?
Don't you have a sunken living area nearby?

Love the Saarinen Miller house

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:46 am

Update: We're about to tear out the kitchen now. Still planning on placing window in place of where backsplash will be on back wall. See 2 exterior pics about half way down my previous post to see exterior wall of kitchen where glass will go (glass will span almost from corner to corner) We've moved the electrical down the wall (and buried the electrical line) to below proposed window level and moved ac condensor to other end of house.

I would ask any architects or creative types to see if there is any other creative/architectural wall details, window trim detail or other additions that might look cool on the exterior wall where window will be located. So far we're planning just a minimal flush commercial storefront type window. I just feel that there is something else that could enhance this wall even more, but just can't quite figure it out. I would love some creative help if anyone has some ideas. Thanks so much

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:35 pm

I don't know those jones mha kitchens up there look like they are out of an old greasy spoone mom and pop burger joint. They're soooo, obnoxiously Dwell like. Trying way to hard to be natually-minimalisticly-modern if I can express it that way. As you can see I'm not fond of Dwell magazine.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Don't like'em at all. I think its the open shelves thats ruining it for me.
Because the space is so small it looks cluttered and work-shop messy and makes the kitchen look even smaller.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:52 pm

scowsa

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”