Raising Ceilings?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
paulrothchild
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Raising Ceilings?

Postby paulrothchild » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Has anyone raised their ceilings in all or part of their house?

We have relatively low ceilings in our house that limit light. We are doing a kitchen renovation that requires removing part of the ceiling and are considering taking the opportunity to raise the ceiling.

The ceiling would now become vaulted. We are considering cladding the ceiling in white oak and rough sawn rafters. But that is merely one option at this point.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this, has some pictures to share, and any thoughts or recommendations.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:30 am

really depends on method of construction of your house and electrical.

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:50 pm

it sounds like an obvious thing to say, but whatever you do just be aware of what and why you're doing it.

are you trying to have it blend in with the rest of the house? or are you creating a new/quirky architectural moment that works in its difference?

if your home is all flat white plaster ceilings then the 'rough sawn rafters' might stick out (it could be in a good way .. i don't know).

i suppose an example of very different roof lines that work would be some of those eichlers with the gable-roof atrium/entry while the rest of the house is (relatively) flat.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:11 pm

As Joe says, it really depends on the method of construction in your house. And not just in the "will it look silly?" department. In most conventionally framed houses, the ceiling joists act as rafter ties. They keep the outside walls from pushing out from the pressure of the roof. In an open beam house like Joe and I have, the center of the roof has a large beam that carries most of the roof load. There are still some ties, but they are hidden in walls or at the ends. My model also has a post in the largest area. You can have an architect or engineer spec a different method doing the ties job. But you cannot just take out the ceiling without a plan.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Um, yeah, why are you trying to do this? Is your house really MCM, or are you just trying to make it look like it? If it is a real MCM, you my be taking away something that makes it a period piece, instead of emulating what's trendy in houses at the moment.
Something else to think about is, an attic, or crawl-space really keeps the house insulated, you'll have to heat and cool that area that was acting as a buffer to the outside. Are you ready to watch your utility bills jump?
Half of our house has "vaulted ceilings" but it was built that way, and we also have a HUGE fireplace/BBQ that acts as a major load bearing wall:

Just something more to think about.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”