Advice on 2 estimates for Marmoleum

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tim Young
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Advice on 2 estimates for Marmoleum

Postby Tim Young » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:34 am

We're pricing marmoleum for a modern home built in 1954 that we just bought. The house is 3000 square feet and we're looking to cover about 1/3 to 1/2 of the house in Marmoleum. I got 2 quotes from local flooring companies and can't decide between the 2. I found these companies on the Marmoleum website. The first company was listed as a certified installer. Two guys came out and seemed very knowledgeable and were very friendly and personable. They quoted us $6700 to do the install, which will cover a large family room, a large office, a hallway, a utility room, and two bathrooms. Most of the install will be on an upstairs floor, and the current floor creaks, probably because nails have lifted with time. This company recommended installing 1/4" plywood under the new Marmoleum (and above the old plywood), which would cost another $1600. The second company was listed as a licensed dealer of Marmoleum. I went to the store and the guy said he also installs, so I had him come give an estimate. He said that he is not a certified installer of Marmoleum but has taken classes in installing Marmorette (Armstrong's version of Marmoleum). He comes off as subdued and dry, which makes me unsure about my confidence in him. But his quote was $5200 for the same amount of work (without the plywood, which he didn't mention - he said he would sand and prep the current plywood and thought that would be fine). So I can't decide who to go with. If the quotes were the same, I would no question go with the first company. I know that you can't answer this question for me without knowing our budget and more specifics, but I'm wondering if anyone's been in a similar situation and has any advice.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 am

Is this the sheet product or the planks? Sheet flooring should have the new underlayment per specs to avoid telegraphing. Planks are a DIY product, so specialized skill is not as important.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:40 am

I would fork for the underlayment. Plywood used for floors that will be carpeted are not good enough for sheet goods. Even "sanded and prepped"
plywood may have voids in the plywood that won't show up until the new floor is in use.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:24 pm

It is the sheet Marmoleum. So it sounds like having the 1/4 plywood is a bigger deal than I realized. My gut told me to go with the company that recommended it anyway. I may have to have them do a partial job so we can fit it into our budget, then finish the job later.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”