Window Insulation

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Planner Dude
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Window Insulation

Postby Planner Dude » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:02 pm

If you have lots of windows in your house, how do you insulate them to keep warm air in or out (winter vs. summer)?

I have three sliding glass doors that provide great views and light into my house, but I know they are leaking air out.

Most of the tricks I have read about involve drapes or other fabrics that will block light or won't work for sliding glass doors.

I'd like to find something that is energy efficient but also preserve my light and views of my yard

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:24 am

We have the same problem. The previous owner installed blinds that pull across the windows, they are insulated and do a great job of keeping the cold air out, but during cold winter days, we like the blinds OPEN. We are having a glass panel replaced tomorrow in one of our doors. it's letting moisture inside the glass and I can feel the cold air rush through that door. hopefully it helps.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:53 pm

not living in the midwest is one solution :wink:

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:14 am

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:14 am

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:44 am

Last edited by dani on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:36 am

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:47 am

I'm sure everyone knows my opinion on it by now but I'll give it again anyway...Drapes can't be beat...doesn't matter how you hang 'em, just hang 'em.

Dining Room

Master Bedroom

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 am

I was joking :D

it's actually in the 20s-30s today out here on the left coast and my boiler broke down :oops: time to build a fire!

classic form is correct, drapes work well and are period correct!

use use the search tools of the forum to find old discussions.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:11 am

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:22 am

Yeah, I agree, drapes, they can look super cool if done right. If you know anyone that sews you can make them yourself so they needn't be boring either.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:31 am

Actually, even if you use ready made panels, you need to be able to sew them together and often shorten them. Straight line sewing with a machine is easy. Sewing clothes is what's hard.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:44 am

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:19 pm

There is another thing you can do in addition to the drapes, which I also recommend. There are those window insulation kits sold at every hardware store. The ones that have plastic and double sided tape that you attach with a blow dryer. They have ones specifically for sliding glass doors.

The disadvantages are that they are a PITA to install and they ain't pretty. But they do work to some extent. And if you get drapes, that will block what my wife calls the "trailer park" look.

Try one out and see if you can tolerate the look for the winter. You an always rip it down if its too horrid.

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:52 am

One of my neighbors built plexi-panels in frames that attach to the inside of the window frames - sort of the reverse of a storm window. He attaches these when it gets cold to provide an additional layer of insulation - it allows him to keep the casement style aluminum windows original to the house. They're removed during the warmer months (so they're up about 3 months out of the year or so).

The only problem I see in them is that if there's any condensation on the glass there isn't an easy way to wipe up the moisture that wicks to the sill. It is something to think about doing though.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Planner Dude
Modern Socialite

Postby Planner Dude » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:09 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”