Rainbird headquarters Threatened?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
khummer
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rainbird headquarters Threatened?

Postby khummer » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:25 pm

27 acres across from Von's that would perhaps include the beautiful white mid Century modern sleek looking corporate headquarters. Yes, I think it might be true that it all might be turned into homes. Can't tell from their website where their corporate headquarters is heading to next?

This could be scary. Gees... I hope I am wrong, but I heard about it on a local cable access tv show hosted by some local nosies.

Anyone got any insight. When is everything going down?

Here's the word...

The Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for a 150-home development on 27 acres owned by the Rain Bird Corporation will be issued for public comment in the next few months. Residents will then have only 45 days to evaluate plans and submit written comments on the effects of the project. As outlined to the city Development Review Committee in November, 78 triplex townhomes and 72 detached homes, two-packed on separate, small lots of about 4,000 s.f. will be built. The net density will be 7.3 units/acre, with one acre allocated to oak tree preservation and six acres at the southeastern most corner of the site reserved for park land.

pgharchfan
Modern Fan

Rain Bird abandoning Glendora

Postby pgharchfan » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:10 pm

Rain Bird is moving their corporate HQ to Tucson, closer to where their manufacturing facilities are in Mexico.

The white building currently holds remnants of their administrative offices and their international division. The local execs, including company owner Anthony LaFetra, operate out of offices in their distribution center in Azusa.

LaFetra is a notorious tyrant and tightwad. His mother had the beautiful white HQ building built in the 50's. It has all of the cool surrounds, original office furniture and acres of terazzo floors. The company was progressive then. Since that time, they've been losing market share and have not invested in the local community as the once did.

mwl
Modern Socialite

Postby mwl » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:36 pm

Where are you getting your facts? Do you know anyone who works for Rain Bird?

pgharchfan
Modern Fan

Rain Bird Building

Postby pgharchfan » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:11 am

Yes, I know several insiders.

The building is at 145 North Grand Avenue in Glendora for those that want to do a drive-by.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I thought it was on

Postby modfan » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:52 am

Foothill just east of Citrus College and moved to that industrial park in Azusa where the Dri-Powr Building is. Coulda been a tighwad-as they seem to not have a Rose Parade Float anymore. And those cheap plastic RainBird sprinklers-ugh they don't last! And I'm sure the homes will be pricey and the typical McMansion types goin' in.

mwl
Modern Socialite

Postby mwl » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:42 am

I also am an insider into Rain Bird. They have had a Float in the Rose Parade for the last eight years, and have won many awards. The general public wants cheap product and doesn't want to pay extra money for brass sprinklers. If the market for producing expensive metal American made sprinklers existed, Rain Bird wouldn't have to compete globally with companies that will make comparable product for a much cheaper price (ie outsourcing jobs, cheaper materials, etc.). I know there are many people within the company who are saddened by the eventual sale of that land, but don't be naive folks. In order to compete in a global market you have to make hard and fast decisions. As far as the President being a tightwad or tyrant, I would cautiously suggest that you are careful about who might be reading these posts. Tony Lafetra is my father, and while imperfect, is a great businessman, philanthropist, supporter of the L.A. Conservancy and a human being. Perhaps the old adage if you can't say something nice is in order. If you guys want to bash big business please do it privately. Thanks

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:36 am

The opinions expressed on this board do not reflect those of the Los Angeles Conservancy or it's Modern Committee.

They are individuals speaking as individuals. I would not want that to be misunderstood.

Thank you.

-MODCOM outreach chair Nichols

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby modfan » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:17 pm

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:36 pm

Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

khummer
Modern Master

Thanks!

Postby khummer » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:49 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”