Reparing (and re-painting?) our concrete floor

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tim Young
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Reparing (and re-painting?) our concrete floor

Postby Tim Young » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:38 pm

We had to tear out our carpet because I nearly flooded the living room by breaking a pipe. We discovered a 2' x 3' grid of finished concrete that we absolutely love. I now want to repair the divots from the tack strips and restore the floor. There are some cracks that need repair as well. The floor actually looks like it was painted originally - it's an even solid green color. We want to change the color but like the way it looks. I'm wondering what I'm going to need to do to it. I know there are a bunch of threads about concrete floors, but I think my floor is a bit different in that it was finished originally. I'm planning to try to find some sort of epoxy product to fill the divots and cracks, sand or grind it, then recoat the floor, and I'm wondering if I can just use some sort of paint. I don't want the stained semi-transparent look - I like that it's solid. Any advice?

FRaC
Modern Socialite

Postby FRaC » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:04 pm

pros i know use ardex to fill cracks and divots from tack strips:

if you grind that thing down i bet it would be spectacular (but i'm o.k. with imperfect concrete floors with patches and stuff ..)

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:23 pm

I'll check out the ardex. I went to Lowe's tonight and bought a small amount of this ready mix concrete patch from DAP:

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=125

I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and see how it does. I also bought some Valspar floor paint and will give that a try. I've read on this forum that some people were unhappy with paint because it's too monotone, but our walls are wood paneled so I'm not sure if that will be an issue. I also read that there were problems with the paint lifting due to moisture, but since our floor have already been painted and we're not in a wet climate, again I'm not sure if that will be a problem. I did get some quotes from professionals, but a bit too much to afford right now. I figure if what I try doesn't work, it can be fixed or I can put in cork, which I've always liked anyway.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:25 am

what beautiful floors!
do i spy the edge of a rebounder in that picture!?!

the patina of the old green looks very nice in the picture - you sure you want to cover that patina up? of course - i have no idea how different it might look in person - but it sure photographs nicely.

great tip on the ardex. wish i had known about that a few years back.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks Futura! And yes, that would be my daughter's rebounder in the photo. She likes to jump on it while she watches cartoons. I figure it's better than sitting on her butt...

Well, we're going for it. Here are some in-progress photos. I'll post some of the final product soon.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”