Modern Prefabs

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Modern Prefabs

Postby scowsa » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:32 pm

A topic that has occasionally popped in in LoL as some folks don't live in areas where they can find MCM-styles or even "modern" and therefore consider building one.

The latest Dwell has the most comprehensive review I have ever seen, covering 22 companies. They even provide cost comparisons of a sort and "no," they have not gotten cheaper.

The reality is that while they may be prefabs they are still custom homes and therefore most ending up costing as much as a custom build, dependent on the labor costs in the area.

scowsa

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:16 am

Yup and until they can get those prices down to smog levels :P they will contiue to be exactly what they are, 'niche projects' that only architects talk about in passing coversations.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 pm

much has been written on prefab over the last 10 years. nothing has changed much in the last 50 years, other than it's harder to find land and site one. there are a couple designs out there that are OK, but nothing revolutionary.

prefab is really "pre-design." you're paying for something already designed.

my 57 year-old prefab house is doing just fine :wink:

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:29 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:16 pm

I would consider the Mays to be pre-cut rather than prefab. Mine was not even made up of pre-made panels.

The Marmol Radziner ones are like high class manufactured housing. I visited the desert house and really liked it. But my May looks a lot better cluttered than a Miesian box would.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:25 pm

ModinTulsa
Modern Groupie

Postby ModinTulsa » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Rocio Romero seems to have some fairly affordable prefab. She's based one state over from me in Missouri. Very cool concept.

disclaimer: I am not associated with her, don't know her, am not advertising.

Sorry, I haven't posted in a while!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:50 am

Totally don't like her designs, they all look like worked over trailers. I don't see any 'perspective' in her designs..

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”