How much square footage do you really need?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:36 am

Great thread! Glad it was revived.

I lived in a 1 room studio apartment (by myself) for 14 years. It was after college, and my buddies and I were finally giving up the rent house we'd had. I needed something cheap, as I was (and still am) a full time working musician. It was a block and concrete 60s looking building, kinda cool. Don't recall the sqft, but is was a rectangular room with a kitchenette and bath at one end, a wall of glass at the other, and free standing wardrobe storage in the center dividing living and sleeping spaces. I fixed it up myself, even built custom modular furniture. It was great! Though it was before I knew what mid-century-modern was, I was already adopting the less-is-more mentality. When I finally met the girl I would marry, I bought a 1961 modernist ranch with 1271sqft (see link below signature for more on that). It felt huge! And best of all, I'd saved so much money over the years living in the "box" (as I called it), was able to put down $1/2 of the total price on the place.

We're now planning to add a 650sqft addition (hopefully this year) in order to repurpose our current his & her offices back into bedrooms (for our future expanding family), and to better integrate a future planned pool (and it's outdoor spaces) into the over all layout of our home. (FYI, a while back I started a couple of threads about our addition plans in order to get some advice. For those who recall, the plan has completely transformed since working with an architect.)

--Robb
Last edited by robbhouston on Tue May 22, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

JimR_in_DC
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JimR_in_DC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:15 am

Our midcentury ranch in SoCal is 1600 sq. ft. It seems plenty large for 2 adults and a small dog.
Jim R

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:12 pm

My place is 1350 square feet. With just two of us, a couple cats, and a home office, it works out well. Only time it's troublesome is when we have more than 10 or 12 guests over at once and the weather isn't nice enough for everyone to spill out onto the back patio (which is itself probably the size of my whole house).

I wouldn't mind having an extra bedroom that I could use as a home gym, and maybe 50 extra square feet in my living room. And, since I'm making a wish list, a larger garage (or room to build a storage shed) would sure be nice so that I could actually park two cars in my two-car garage...

It's interesting: as a real estate broker, I have only sold one home (a condo, actually) that was smaller than my own place. So I spend most of my time inside houses that are much larger than my own, wondering why the heck they still don't feel as spacious as my place...
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Martin
Modern Fan

Postby Martin » Thu May 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri May 04, 2012 12:24 am

Perks

Postby Perks » Sun May 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Would love to see pics of the studios! (Have I missed those posts in the past?)

I always marvel at those who have managed to live in very small spaces...I remember reading about a guy who lived in a something like a 90 sq. ft. place in Manhattan. I don't think I could ever detach myself from "stuff" to that degree, but I have to give major respect to anyone who can!

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 am

Perks,

I'll have to dig them out of our big photo box and scan a few. Yes...it was so long ago, I didn't yet have a digital camera (because they didn't exist). Hard to believe, I know.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon May 07, 2012 8:23 am

well, here's some pictures of the Los Angeles studio apartment (the 1940s apartment)
http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/173411

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Sat May 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mod' i-fy » Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 pm

"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Perks

Postby Perks » Sun May 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 pm

I don't remember the actual unit number--I stayed there for about a month on a sub-let--but it was one of the units on the back side of the courtyard (i.e., the side that didn't face Gayley, Weyburn, or the alley). It's always been one of my favorite buildings in Westwood.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”