Advice

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
judith4653
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Advice

Postby judith4653 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:43 am

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I recently bought a mid century modern style home. I would like to preserve it as much as possible. There is an outdoor atrium in the center of the house surrounded by metal glass sliding doors on one side and floor to ceiling jalousie windows on another side. The two remaining sides consist of fixed floor to ceiling glass and a wall.

In any event, the metal sliding doors are heavy, uninsulated and the handles are broken. The jalousie windows are also uninsulated. I am on the horns of a dilemma as to whether to try to fix and insulate the existing doors and windows to to replace them with new insulated ones. If I did, I don't think they would be metal. There is a significant amount of interior and exterior wood that I could match if I replaced the doors and windows.

Do you think it is unwise to do so? Should I press on with trying to fix or correct the existing ones? Any informed suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu May 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Why can't new ones be metal? These folks have been making sliding glass doors since back when your house was built. They are very popular replacement for owners of homes built by Eichler.

http://arcadiaproducts.com/

Some photos would help, if you don't want to figure out how to post them, a link to a Flickr photo set would do.

The Jalousie windows probably do need to be changed out to something else because of your climate. Fixed windows can be changed to dual pane unit often fitted into the existing casement. Again, photos would help. Just don't be caught thinking that all you can do is install what the window replacement salesman is selling this week.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri May 18, 2012 4:49 pm

agreed with egads. new sliders and other windows with aluminum trim are available from a number of folks including milgard. true, they're not thermally broken like vinyl ones are, but you didn't move into an MCM home to live with vinyl windows.

http://www.milgard.com/doors/aluminum-patio-doors/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri May 18, 2012 7:31 pm

The Arcadia 5000 series is available thermally broken. The hollow aluminum is filled with spray foam.
Check out the "Futura" flush handles that are available.
They also make a sliding door that has a large handle that you move from vertical to horizontal and it lifts a very large door to make it slide easily. I first saw such a thing on This Old House when they visited a building show in a Scandinavian country.

judith4653
Modern Groupie

Postby judith4653 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue May 22, 2012 12:32 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue May 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Fri May 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: counter tops, I think it would depend on what look you're going for. If you're going with newer, Euro-style cabinets, I'd probably recommend flat-edged Silestone as well. Laminate counter surfaces work well for a more vintage look, and if restoring or repurposing original cabinetry is part of the plan, I'd probably go that way.

But it's possible to mix-and-match and come out of it successfully. I went with Euro-style laminate cabinets but, since I was also re-installing the original oven/cooktop/fan, went with boomerang Formica counters to bridge the two together. It worked out surprisingly well.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Sat May 26, 2012 8:26 am

Countertop: BOOMERANG!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat May 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Perks

Postby Perks » Sun May 27, 2012 11:18 am

The Formica boomerang pattern is only available in charcoal right now. Alas, all of the other colors were discontinued over the past couple years.

However, Wilsonart has of similar patterns available by custom order.

I DO love my charcoal boomerang counters; totally fun! ;)
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”