Why Mid Century Homes Always Have an Open Floor Plan?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MarcoMidCenturyHome
Modern Fan

Why Mid Century Homes Always Have an Open Floor Plan?

Postby MarcoMidCenturyHome » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:46 am

Hey All,

some time ago I was curious about the origins of the Open Floor Plan in mid century modern houses. I then did some research and wrote an article about it in my blog.

It's a pretty long one so I copy here an extract and if you like it just click the link at the end to read it all!

No Ads, spam, or whatever!! Guaranteed :D

Let me know how you enjoyed it.

Ciao,
Marco.
--------------

The mid century period has been revolutionary not only in the design field. During the mid century, in fact, architects introduced radical changes in the way of designing and leaving the interiors.

Probably the most important of those innovations was the Open Floor Plan.

After the World War II people started to think -and desire- for a better and brighter future. Optimism was the key to the mid century economic boom.
The hope for a better future was clear to the architects and designers too, who translated it in new dwellings characterized by the harmony of the inner spaces with the surrounding landscape and by large flexible rooms were family members could spend time together. (read more here )
My name is Marco and I'm crazy about mid century modern design and modernist architecture.

I started my blog www.mid-century-home.com to learn more about mid century, share what I learnt and discover even more thanks to other enthusiasts like me! :D

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:35 am

Hi Marco,

Interesting topic!

I think another the reason the open floor plan came about was the transition to the servant-less home. With the middle class, servant-less, home becoming the norm, the spouse preparing dinner for guests or the family could be connected to the living space while they worked.

The "new architecture" of the modernist movement was definitely about how people lived in a home, not just what it looked like.

Regards,

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

MarcoMidCenturyHome
Modern Fan

Postby MarcoMidCenturyHome » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:25 am

Hey Robb, I do agree with you.
Modernist architects cared a lot about their committees' needs and a servants-less house equipped with modern appliances did not need many people around indeed :)
My name is Marco and I'm crazy about mid century modern design and modernist architecture.

I started my blog www.mid-century-home.com to learn more about mid century, share what I learnt and discover even more thanks to other enthusiasts like me! :D

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mod' i-fy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am

Also too, you simply cannot successfully bring the outside in without a open floor plan.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”