Beam advice

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jinxxie
Modern Fan

Beam advice

Postby Jinxxie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:12 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Jinxxie
Modern Fan

Postby Jinxxie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:43 am

Oh thanks for the tips. I imagine I will be using both of them. If I hadn't noticed then it must be something that can be done sensitively.

I'll be posting photos of our changes as a record for us, so we can keep track of the improvements, also because our families are interested and they live far away (Texas and Australia).

There were pictures posted of our house on curbedla when it was for sale, but people were mostly rude about the house and how much work had to be done, so I'm a bit gunshy of posting pics.

We are looking forward to returning our home to some of its former glory.

Jinxxie

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:02 pm

The product Futura Girl posts has been linked here before, I think it was even what was used to do repairs on the Green & Green Gamble House. That's all from memory, so don't count on it. I bet there are not too many termite guys who use such expensive products. There are beam restorers but the main guys are up in Northern California. We had a thread all about this, but I'm not sure the original poster ever followed up. She had rotted beams that extended inside and was in quite a pickle (tear off the roof and such to actually replace)

It sounds like your termite guy has already done repairs and protection is next?

Posting on the internet is not for sissies, but now you are a restorer, not someone trying to sell a "fixed up" modern masterpiece. And around here, we are sworn to be light hearted, positive and friendly.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:29 pm

good to hear.

when I purchased my dilapidated Cliff May, I had to replace an exposed beam, but it wasn't a big deal. I caulked, primed and painted my other exposed beams too. (beam replaced runs atop wall)

welcome to the forum, Jinxxie. AQJ's work is my favorite!

Jinxxie
Modern Fan

Postby Jinxxie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:19 pm

Yep. Repairs are all done, it needed to be tented. Now we are just looking at protecting the house in what ways we can.

I'll post updates when we make changes.

Thanks

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Jinxxie, I'm posting the link to your tumblr site in this thread, I hope that's all right:

http://firalean.tumblr.com/

It does look like you have a might of undoin' to do. You'll get lots of praise and encouragement around here. And as to the quote, I'm seven years into my project and I haven't stopped yet.

Jinxxie
Modern Fan

Postby Jinxxie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:25 pm

The list is long and for now we are focused on livability issues like light installations, repairs oh and unpacking boxes.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:57 am

Jinxxie
Modern Fan

Postby Jinxxie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks for the tips Redneckmodern, They have done the repairs, and have so far seemed very reputable, coming back and fixing something that was missed and replacing a spot of hardwoodflooring that was damaged from a pot plant that wasn't really their responsbility.

Is there anyway I can tell what they did to it other than asking? Is there a tell tale sign of resin? If not, I will give them a call and see if I can find out what they did.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:33 pm

I would add that what one would do is contact a sheet metal shop to have custom caps made. If one did not want to dyi, then a roofer could measure, have them made & install.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Jinxxie
Modern Fan

Postby Jinxxie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”