PLEASE HELP PICK PAINT COLORS FOR MY HOUSE!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

atlmcmlvr
Modern Groupie

PLEASE HELP PICK PAINT COLORS FOR MY HOUSE!

Postby atlmcmlvr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Help! I'm losing my mind trying to decide on a paint palette for the exterior of my house. My husband and I agree on gray for the body of the house, but of course, there are a million shades to pick from. I'm going back and forth between a cool, charcoal gray with a bright yellow or orange door or a warm medium-toned grey with a chartreuse, teal or turquoise door. (We'll be replacing the original door with a solid, flat paneled one.)

What I'm really stuck on is the trim color and a color for the brick. Do I go darker with the trim or choose a crisp white? Would a lighter, neutral gray work for the brick? Also, our beams inside are painted a dark, chocolate brown. Should we extend that color to the beams on the exterior?

I'd also like to use a slightly darker tone than the front body color on the lower level (seen in the side view photo) to break up the facade. We'll probably use Sherwin-Williams colors since it's our painter's favorite paint. I'd love to hear any and all thoughts! Thanks in advance!

ATLMCMLVR
Atlanta, Georgia

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:42 pm

I kinda like the current tone and would be inclined to use a warmer stone like gray and not use a silvery one. Perhaps a slightly darker version of the same color on the brick and even on that recess side. I would paint the window trim an enamel the same color as the house body. Outlined like it is now is too traditional for a MCM house. I'd like those elements to blend and not pop. The dark reflective glass is a pop. The only place for an accent color is maybe the facia or definitely the new slab door.

Be kind to your painter and remove the plants that where once planted too close to the house. I'm looking at you bush to the right of the door! Digging up the stuff I see as inevitably needing removal should be done now, not later next to a fresh paint job. And plant new stuff well away from the house. I'd widen the planting area to at least 3 feet, 4-6 would be better.

atlmcmlvr
Modern Groupie

Postby atlmcmlvr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks, MLL! I was kinda thinking the same thing about the warm vs. cool gray. The silvery grays were looking off to me for some reason and I couldn't put my finger on it. There's always that temptation to make a big change when you're paying to do something like painting, but I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Glad you said that about the trim. Painting it the same color as the body of the house was my first instinct, but then I looked at so many houses with contrasting trim, that I second guessed myself. This is why I need the opinions of other people who own and love MCM homes!

What are your thoughts about the brick? Same color as the facade or something a little different? I'm really stumped on this one.
ATLMCMLVR

Atlanta, Georgia

atlmcmlvr
Modern Groupie

Postby atlmcmlvr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Oh, and I forgot to thank you for the tip about pulling out the original landscaping before painting. I hadn't thought about that and it definitely needs to be done.
ATLMCMLVR

Atlanta, Georgia

allen
Modern Master

paint

Postby allen » Fri May 15, 2015 8:31 pm

I'd go with an army tank green and orange trim blue doors
Please concider those colors. Your house will be the neighborhood icon

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Sat May 30, 2015 12:51 pm

i dunno, some sloppy thoughts............
I'd paint trim same as body

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”