ID request - original Bay Area paintings from the 50's?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AJ Fisher
Modern Master

ID request - original Bay Area paintings from the 50's?

Postby AJ Fisher » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Hey all,

I purchased these paintings at a local thrift store and am seeking help from the community to learn more about their origins:

The paintings show 2 San Francisco locales; the Market Street cable car turntable and the entrance to the Japanese Garden.

The paintings are by the same artist whose initials appear to be "GM".

The dimensions of the canvases are 11 3/4" x 25".

I believe the paintings are done with acrylic paint during the 1950's.

I'd appreciate any info on who might have painted these pieces.

Here is a hyperlink to a larger version of the above image:

http://eugenemodern.org/objects/sf_paintings.jpg

-AJ

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Postby AJ Fisher » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:53 pm

well i am replying to my own post. i finally discovered who is the artist of these paintings!

for a long time i thought the signature read "GM" until a friend came over and said "that looks like Gill to me, not GM." sure enough, i've discovered that "Gill" is somewhat famous for producing airbrushed stencil drawings in an art deco style depicting Hawaiian hula dancers, drummers, leimakers, etc. what little information i've been able to find suggests he was a native of San Francisco. i found an oil painting of his online. my paintings appear to be acrylic. he seems to be best known for his stylized airbrush pictures of native Hawaiians.

If anyone else knows anything about "Gill", please get in touch with me.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”