A-frames

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Chad Randl
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A-frames

Postby Chad Randl » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:29 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:23 pm

There are several cool Modern A Frame structures dotting L.A. The best ones I know of are those that hug the hillsides and canteliever off the edges of mountain roads. There are 2 of these in Woodland Hills I know of and 1 in Eagle Rock.

There are also countless examples of Modern Churches that use some form of A frame structure. My personal favorite is a church on Topanga Canyon in Canoga Park between Sherman Way and Roscoe.

bananabobs
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bananabobs » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:49 pm

This months Better Homes and Gardens has a article on a 1954 A-Frame built by A. Quincy Jones. They used Marmol Radziner furnishings, (I dig the colors) and the Firm also remodeld the home. Typical of these types of magazines, the important details are not talked about. They always leave me asking questions! Still the pictures are great! The first Shot shows the "A" which is smaller that what most people would think of when they hear 'A-Frame" When I've talked A-Frame, most think of the steep roofed mountain cabin look. One other interesting note, the Author says, "...weathern beaten finishes were removed from the ranch's concrete block exterior." She called this a-frame a "ranch" interesting...Some other post was dissing "ranch" style...
Thoughts?

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:31 pm

A-frame?
Now thats what I'm talkin' about!
I found this in the hills overlooking Ventura, mixed in with 20's and 30's houses. House value = $10,000, View of Channel Islands = $1,000,000

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Tue May 06, 2003 6:38 pm

Gary
Modern Home Design
http://www.modern-home-design.com

texasdago
Modern Master

a-frames

Postby texasdago » Tue May 06, 2003 8:45 pm

These are located in Surfside, Texas

Of course, some of the more famous A-frames in the south are owned by Whataburger :wink:

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Wed May 07, 2003 4:47 am

Good ol' Whatabooger. I like those in Surfside. Is that a pier with shops? Is it near Padre Island? I've been there a few times.
Gary

Modern Home Design

http://www.modern-home-design.com

texasdago
Modern Master

A-frames

Postby texasdago » Wed May 07, 2003 5:52 am

It's just a small grouping of rental houses... there's a surf spot right in front of there called, oddly enough, A-frames.

Surfside is near Freeport... it's not too far south of Galveston (over the San Luis Pass)

Usonian
Modern Socialite

McGuire

Postby Usonian » Wed May 07, 2003 6:36 am

There is a cool A-Frame outside of Hudson, WI that was designed by Michael McGuire (exceptional modernist architect in MN) in the early '60's.

I know it was in an issue of Prairie School Review in 1968. It also was in either a House Beautiful or House & Garden (I'll see if I can dig it out of my boxes at home) in 1964.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

A frames

Postby modfan » Wed May 07, 2003 8:51 am

There's a modified A frame (top chopped off-small flat roof) in 1000 Oaks
the tract was called Kevington. Don't remember the street, but it's east of the Eichler tract in the hills. It was a one-off model home 2 br. Also scattered thru out So. Cal. are A frames that were various restaurants-
Baskin Robbins 31 flavors, Weinerschniztel, Woodys Smogasburger are ones I recall.....

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed May 07, 2003 12:08 pm

Foxy's
and the orange roofed TASTEE FREEZE!!!

retrocool
Modern Master

A frame

Postby retrocool » Wed May 07, 2003 5:18 pm

You may want to check out the First Baptist Church in Downey. It's on Third St. near the City Hall. Also Foxy's right down the street at 3 rd. and Paramount. It is now called the Nordic Fox.

alnshely
Modern Groupie

Postby alnshely » Thu May 08, 2003 6:33 am

The A Frame was the prefered stucture of the Tiki Bar. Here's a great example, Humphries Half Moon Inn on Shelter Island in San Diego.
Mahalo,
Al

Botany500
Modern Socialite

A-frame in Franklin Hills

Postby Botany500 » Fri May 09, 2003 10:36 pm

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:57 pm

I saw a pretty cool A Frame in San Pedro today. It was on the corner of S Anchovy and either W 34th or W 35th. Many other MCMs in the neighborhood.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:24 pm

Ooh, look at this exciting BASKIN ROBBINS store!

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:51 am

PreserveLA
Modern Socialite

Postby PreserveLA » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:22 am

News, Information & More at http://www.preservela.com !

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:47 am

I love A Frames. At one point I was actually thinking about building a house, rather than buying, and I found plans for a really cool looking A Frame house.

Check it out...

http://details.coolhouseplans.com/detai ... 9&sid=chp3

Too bad there's really no more land to be had in he LA area...

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:53 pm

Noticed that KOA hasn't been mentioned in regards to A-frames. Most KOA campgrounds in this part of the world feature giant A-frames as the main admin building. Is this true on the west coast as well?

-- John

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:42 pm

Wow -- I know that only by their logo - don't think I'v even seen a picture of the real thing. Maybe I'll try their site (?)

Has anybody mentioned Schindler's mountain A-frame for a Mrs Bennati, from 1934-37 (Lake Arrowhead)?

SDR

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:07 pm

It's - Der Wienerschnitzel - not Wienerschnitzel. At least, that's what they were called when they used A-frames for their stores.

A lot of those store became known as 39 cent hamburgerstands for awhile, and we called them ska burger (black and white).
SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:37 am

modfan

And to Germans

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:49 am

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:19 am

SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

modfan

Wow

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:38 am

nredom
Modern Master

Foxy's (now Nordic Fox) Memories Contest

Postby nredom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:33 pm

nredom
Modern Master

A-Frame in Cahuenga Pass

Postby nredom » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:56 am

There's a boarded up A-Frame just east of the 101 Freeway in the Cahuenga Pass (Hollywood). Anyone know anything about this?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:03 am

any idea regarding the origins of the A-Frame design? Are there any books regarding the evolution of the A-Frame house?

Thanks

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:50 am

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=aframe

It looks like this one doesn't go back beyond the MCM period. It must be an ancient form? Maybe not. . .

http://architecture.about.com/library/bl-aframe.htm This reference cites Andrew Geller (Sagaponac, LI, NY) as an originator.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”