Lloyd Wright in Palos Verdes -trust sale - DANGER

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Lloyd Wright in Palos Verdes -trust sale - DANGER

Postby nichols » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Trust Sale, court confirmation required. One of Lloyd Wrights architectural designs called The Bird of Paradise house, a name that reflects its steeply pitched roof & triangular geometic shaped structure. The exterior is built of concrete & Santa Maria stone with blue corrugated fiberglass along the pitched roof. The interior features an amazing two level stone fireplace enjoyed in the living room up to the incredibly unique master bedroom. Massive vaulted ceilings with floor to ceiling glass windows to enhance the panoramic ocean & golf course view. Interior features 3904' structure, 4 bdrms, 3.5 baths, library, family room, living room, formal dining room, master suite, laundry room. Exterior has flat lot, an inground pool, separate guest quarters. Buyer to verify all information. Wright designed angled furniture for the living room & dining room are on display. The structure is in need of restoration. Sold as-is. Contact agent for pre-submission package prior to writing offer.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Rancho-Palos-V ... me/7727237

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:26 pm

The Bowler house, 1963. Renovated by Eric Lloyd Wright, 1991. Photos below by Alan Weintraub (except as noted) from his magnificent monograph on the architect (Harry N. Abrams, 1998).

Image Bruike Photography.
The fiberglass appears to be missing in this early shot.

Image Julius Shulman

Image All furnishings by Lloyd Wright

Image That appears to be a large mirror, at right. . .

The Bowlers decided to add mirror to the master bath island cabinet in 1991; Lloyd Wright and Bruce Goff saw it together and were "surprised and delighted."

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks for the pic's SDR!

This is a really spectacular house. I had it on a tour many years ago and it's fantasticly theatrical. It seemed in good shape in the mid-90's. I hope the original custom furniture is still with the house.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Me too. The text above says the living and dining room furniture is "on display." Don't know if that means it's included, or even for sale. . .

SDR

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Hmmm

Postby modfan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:25 am

Wasnt this in that movie "LA Story' with Steve Martin?

mwl
Modern Socialite

Postby mwl » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:11 am

I saw this house today. AMAZING. Unfortunately, it appears that the lot was subdivided and there is a new house being built behind to the left. I believe it is being sold for lot value...

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Conservancy staff attended the probate sale and spoke to the new owner about the importance of the house. It seems like it's in good hands.

THEN, today I see this:

Spring highlights will include an important collection of furniture designed by Lloyd Wright, son of Frank Lloyd Wright, in 1963 for the Bowler House, Palos Verdes, California. Also known as the 'Bird of Paradise' residence because of the steeply pitched roof, the home was commissioned by John and Jeanne Bowler. Images and interviews are available upon request.

Design of the Century

Works by Lloyd Wright Highlight 20th Century Furniture & Decorative Arts Auction

at Bonhams & Butterfields in April 2009

Spring '09 sale features strong examples of Arts & Crafts, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Mid-Century Modern & works by Contemporary Studio artists

Bonhams & Butterfields' spring 2009 auction of 20th Century Decorative Arts, to be held in Los Angeles on April 6th, features a diverse group of works spanning a century of design. The works on offer will highlight the full range of 20th century artistic output, from the important early years through the modern period.

The firm is pleased to offer an important collection of furniture designed in 1963 for the Bowler House, Palos Verdes, California by Lloyd Wright, son of Frank Lloyd Wright. Also known as the 'Bird of Paradise' residence because of the steeply pitched roof, the home was commissioned by John and Jeanne Bowler. The couple had seen photographs of Frank Lloyd Wright's Palo Alto, CA commission for the Hanna House (1935-37), and agreed that with its indoor-outdoor spaces, open floor plan and integration of building and site, that project was the type of house they too wanted. The pair was happy to find Lloyd Wright had worked on the Hanna house with his father.

A noted architect in his own right, Lloyd Wright made several important contributions to the Southern California architectural landscape throughout his career. In addition to the Bowler House, his many admired commissions also include The Wayfarer's Chapel in Portuguese Bend on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

Lloyd Wright designed the Bowler residence with the same 'feel' of the Hanna House -- including the spatial flow, but for this home, he used concrete, Santa Maria stone and blue corrugated fiberglass in the construction. He also designed angled furniture for each room, echoing the angles of the house design. Production of the house and furniture was supervised by contractor and owner John Bowler. The house has appeared on the silver screen - it was the location for scenes in Steve Martin's LA Story in 1991.

Included in the Bowler House collection to be offered at auction in April 2009 are the hexagonal walnut dining table (est. $3,000/5,000), twelve velvet and brass dining chairs (est. $2,500/3,500), pairs of club chairs, and an ottoman (est. $1,500/2,500); as well as various side tables and coffee tables.

Los Angeles preview events are scheduled for April 3-5 in Bonhams & Butterfields' Sunset Blvd. gallery.
The 20th Century Furniture and Decorative Arts Department at Bonhams & Butterfields presents two auctions each year held in the firm's Los Angeles salesrooms and two sales in the Bonhams New York galleries. Virtually every major design movement of the 20th century is well represented in these sales with fine examples executed in the mediums of ceramics, metalwork, glass and furniture regularly offered and bringing strong prices.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Aw, geez.

Is it the Blacker house debacle all over again ?

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:11 am

Hopefully the screens will be remaining! It's kind of confusing. SDR's information says the house was restored in 1991 by Eric Lloyd Wright but the listing says the house is currently in need of restoration. Am I getting old or does 17 years not seem like enough time for another restoration? Does this mean it "needs" granite and stainless or are there other issues?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Ack.
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Bowler House

Postby Josquin » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:57 am

SDR information is correct, Eric Wright oversaw renovations to the house in 1991. If the house had been unoccupied or neglected for a number of years, there could be much to restore. I had just seen FLW's Fawcett house in Los Banos, already plaster and paint are falling off the eaves. The house appears to be unoccupied. Randall Fawcett died in 2006.
Last edited by Josquin on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 am

According to Conservancy staff, the new owners unsuccessfully attempted to include the furniture in the sale. All indications are that the new owners are planning a sensitive restoration. Maybe they will acquire it back at auction.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am

So, the sellers separated the furniture from the house and are auctioning it ? do I have that straight ?

SDR

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Yes, that's correct.

Josquin

Bowler House 2

Postby Josquin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Sorry, I stand corrected.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:35 pm

furniture auction April 8

Design of the Century - Works by Lloyd Wright Highlight 20th Century Furniture & Decorative Arts Auction at Bonhams & Butterfields in April 2009

http://www.bonhams.com/usfurniture

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... 5064#75064

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:26 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”