some mcms on oahu

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
markvalli
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

some mcms on oahu

Postby markvalli » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:46 am

on vacation and exploring kailua and parts of honolulu. Here are some neat or representative houses. I have a couple more days if any one from honolulu has suggestions on places to go by...

start with a house that backs onto kailua beach- the living room area looks great, like an x-wing fighter crashed into a block of ice.

a long, low one in the hills above the waialae country club in honolulu

this one isn't my favorite but it just seems like iconic hawaiian modernish ...

lower down in same area

example of bank of multiple small windows opened to breeze

big louvered windows for same effect

nice sunburst concrete blocks on carport

freaky pyramid corner on house adjacent to golf course- not my fav, but interesting

like the orange shadows cast by the screen on this home near the consulate area just off of pali highway

cool one in neighborhood where kailua rd and kalanianaole highway intersect

zillions of individual windows in a row

lots of the more modest ranch houses in the same area are built partly from patterned concrete block of some kind

a house with a long first floor and elevated second story in the hills above lanikai

another lanikai house, this one with a long row of fixed windows

lanikai compound- don't exactly like the colors

2 story house near kailua beach- unfortunately a mini mansion is being constructed between it and the ocean view

like the wall protruding from this otherwise modest house (the wing to the right looks a lot like a manufactured home)

nice house on a hill between kailua and lanikai

tract home on a street of houses built by developer Joe Pao

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:38 am

Great pics-thanks! Nice to see some regional examples....the only modern Hawaiian houses I'd ever seen photographed (before these) were those of Vladimir Ossipoff.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:57 pm

thank you for posting the pictures. I love Hawaii. very interesting to see some of the more modest homes there.

markvalli
Modern Groupie

Postby markvalli » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:29 pm

yeah its fun to see houses from different areas.

here are a few more from the Mikiki heights area and also near diamondhead (which is unfortunately also infested by all these newish, really heavy, huge, ugly homes like crosses between balinese hotels, japanese temples, and bland mediterranean estates)

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”