Affordable Architectural Pottery-ESQUE sources?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Warrigal
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Affordable Architectural Pottery-ESQUE sources?

Postby Warrigal » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:37 pm

Hello - Newbie poster here, although I've lurked a fair amount!

I'm wondering if anyone knows any sources - especially in southern California - for planters that are similar to Architectural Pottery without the price tag. I can pay $100-$300 per planter, but not $1,000! (Not that I don't *want* to....)

I like Modernica's case study planter:
But am also looking for something with a more "interesting" shape, like La Gardo Tackett's hourglass and other variations.

I did a search for this and didn't turn up anything too definitive (although I'll definitely be checking out Pottery Ranch in Monrovia next time I'm anywhere near there).

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Pottery

Postby Josquin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:11 pm

For less expensive cylinders, like modernica's, see gainey pottery. http://www.gaineyceramics.com/pottery/homepage.php
You can go to their location at 1200 Arrow Highway in La Verne for heavily discounted imperfects.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:00 am

You may want to look in Bakersfield, CA, if you can get up there; it's an EXCELLENT thrifting town. Gabby and I have found all sorts of stuff there including some big MC planters.
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:43 am

IKEA!

They actually use local Gainey manufacturing for their garden planters. They have some with nice geometric shapes and cool colors. You probably have to go through a lot of them to find those with low defects, but worth it nonetheless...

Warrigal
Modern Groupie

Postby Warrigal » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Thank you all so much!!

I was able to get up to La Verne this weekend (in Glendora to pick up a cool planter I won on ebay) and made it a point to check out Gainey's warehouse, especially since the warehouse was having a holiday sale: buy two, get one free! We walked away with 9 pots ranging from big to small, all for $140! Thank you!!

I'll be sure to get up to Bakersfield to go thrifting - have several good friends that live up there. Thanks for the tip!

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:04 pm

I checked out the Gainey site, and can't wait to make a little drive out to La Verne. My wife and I have been looking for some cylinder pots like the ones they make, but they're too expensive at the shops we've seen them at. Glad I checked this thread. Too bad I've just missed the holiday sale.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:23 am

I like the simple white pots at IKEA. Ebay is another source too

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:16 am

We finally took a trip out to Gainey, and it was well worth it. This is what we got for a little over $200. Not bad considering it would have only bought about 3 or 4 pots at the shops we've been looking at. All told, we got 14 pots and 2 stands (my daughter got a pink one not in the picture).

-Tim[/img]

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:48 am

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:49 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:09 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon May 25, 2009 7:08 am

I prefer the ones that Tim posted above. Great collection!
But,
i've been taking some early morning drives around the neighboring towns in Rockland
county NY. Found yet another garden center, Van Houten in New City. They have a big
selection of these pots. I took a photo of the label and looked it up online.
Great colors and cheaper at the store than the online sale price. 19$ for a big 12".
Heavy and well made. Good for a climate that has frost.

http://www.plantfactorygardencenter.com ... t=135&pg=2

Wish they made a 1/2 egg bullet shape.

I still like the mynta from ikea, but really heavy. I don't remember paying that much,
so i must have gotten mine on sale.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categ ... geNumber=0

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon May 25, 2009 7:16 am

Wish we had this in NY :cry:

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Mon May 25, 2009 7:00 pm

That's the place! I almost stopped by last week because I was out there buying a reel-to-reel audio player. Then I realized I haven't put plants in all the pots I have, so I thought better of it.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Reviving this thread to give folks a heads-up on a new aluminum planter line we saw at the Dwell Home Show today in LA.

scowsa

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:25 am

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:19 pm

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:47 pm

This recent LA times blog post has the Gainey outlet open.

scowsa

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”