As it Was in '59

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

24x48
Modern Fan

As it Was in '59

Postby 24x48 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Here is a test shot...let's see if it works.

Our house was a simple residence with a great floor plan. A large yard withs lots of play area.

The tract is located in Reseda...approximately 1-1/2 miles east of the Corbin Pines and designed by the same architects. There are only four of these homes facing Victory Blvd in this tract although the vast majority can be found on Gilmore, Geyser, etc.

The structural design is very basic post and beam and accomodated by load bearing wall. The modular system defines the location of walls in the short axis...lots of glass...a great view of the palm fronds beyond and the gleaming moon at night.

Through the years, our parents loved to add new furnishings, etc. ...it all began with this spartan interior in the late 1950s..later, a Saarinen table and Eames chair. In the picture, note the Italian dining set (which is still around), a mobile made of straws (my mom's handywork), a Kenyan bust, pre-Akron furnishings...

Our house was close to stores like Super Fair (early 1960s) and Sad Sack (early 1970s)...my dad was an illustrator for stores like the Big A, White Front (and a mail order business known as Palley's...lots of intersting stuff like tiki tumblers...fortunately, I kept several editions of this catalog).

Thank you,

24x48

Here is one of the images from a Rolliecord 120 format twin lens reflex camera...

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 am

very nice. I am thinking Palmer & Krisel, possibly Fickett.

Spartan furnishing is the way to go! I have a set of those rattan hoop chairs.

thanks for sharing your photo and welcome to LL

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:07 am

Fantastic shot. We had the same hoop chairs.
Nice memories.
Simple, clean and well made furnishings.
My mother still to this day claims to have furnished our
entire house in '56 with her 2nd teaching paycheck.
(my dad was still in grad school)
All or most of it Paul McCobb.
Could not do that today at Ikea! or would even want to...

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:49 am

That's the "Yolanda Gardens" tract. One of the earlier P&K neighborhoods (1954-ish) in the Valley to follow on the heels of Corbin Palms.

Dig the photo and the furnishings. Life in the mid-50's as I could only have dreamed it.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

firebird
Modern Groupie

Postby firebird » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:40 pm

Wonderful shot! Makes me want to dig out my vintage cameras...

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:01 pm

24x48, beautiful 'candid'. I really dig the linear ceiling...you wouldn't by chance happen to know what theroof panels are/are made of?

thanks- Cadman

24x48
Modern Fan

Postby 24x48 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:39 pm

cadman wrote:...you wouldn't by chance happen to know what theroof panels are/are made of?
Thanks for all the great comments...and awed by the interest in this unique time period of design in our homes. I took a basic drafting course in about '78 and for some reason was inspired to find out something about our house...pulled up a copy of the building permit at the Van Nuys branch office of Building and safety...I recall it indicated the builder as Cal Frank Homes and remember the name Palmer Krisel listed as architect and/or designer. It is good to now learn the name of this development.

In regards to the panels, this is from memory...the house was re-roofed during the early 1990s to match the existing awesome rock composition and flashing at the fascia. The panels are 2X8 and are set perpendicular to the 4X6 roof rafters at 32 inches on center. The panels are fairly thick so one could walk on the roof...maybe 3 or more inches thick and made possibly by Weyerhaeuser. The roofer had some difficulty in matching the panels. There were only three needing replacement....even though the damage was very slight...all located by the overhangs. I am sorry to see many of these homes replaced with asphalt shingles and the like. The sound of rainwater hitting the roof is a nice memory.

I'll post some more images at a later time...a couple from very old 120mm color transparencies as well.

Thank you,

24X48

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Is the house still in your family?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Boy, that photo has a lot in it: The furniture (we had those chairs too, though ours didn't have the cut-outs), the Lightolier adjustable pendant fixture, the planter-box room divider. . .

Thanks !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:29 pm

does anyone have an actual name for those chair? I have a set that I had restored. Iconic, yet unknown design origins.

The only name I have heard is "hoop chair"

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:30 pm

We had a similar Lightolier adjustable fixture.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Joe wrote:does anyone have an actual name for those chair? I have a set that I had restored. Iconic, yet unknown design origins.

The only name I have heard is "hoop chair"

Possibly Umanoff or Salterini. Here's a nice set on ebay (slightly different model):
Image ("Lanai chairs" based on the catalog below)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Mid-Century-Da ... =72%3A1205

Awesome picture, by the way!
Last edited by Miguel on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:13 pm

I suppose I balk at the second version shown by Miguel because it is the geometric purity of the "hoop" (should we call it the "bowl" ?) chair that appeals to the modern eye.

(The Butterfly Chair is a similar, if more celebrated, MCM staple. Although a more complex form, that chair satisfies the same eye, by virtue of its rigorous uniformity and repetition of form. Here is the nexus of architecture and furniture, in the modern era; elemental geometric forms, often repeated in series, are characteristic of buildings of all eras.)

SDR

24x48
Modern Fan

Postby 24x48 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:23 pm

nichols wrote:Is the house still in your family?
No...due to a new job, it was time to reduce a commute. I still do dream about living there as if the buyers would actually allow it to be ours on weekends!

I mentioned the Palley's catalog...here are a couple sample pages...the chairs are similar in design...am very sure my father purchased them from this company where he was an illustrator. Note that these pages depict photographic images.

Thanks,

24X48

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:44 pm

In it's purest (and cheapest) form: the Basket Chair !

Don't you love those prices ? 1/4" luan ply, $4.19 (min. order 4 sheets)

SDR

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 am

Love that Luau Fish Lounge in the add!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:46 am

I have one of the fish chairs and two of the 13f lanai chairs. Purchased from 2 different yard sales about ten years apart. Glad I was able to reunite these long lost cousins. :D

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:53 am

Yes! My new mission in life is to get one of those fish chairs! I'd even be willing to pay more than $14.88 for it. :wink:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Perkins Realty Group

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:45 am

basket chair it is, then. thanks!

I don't think anyone owned the design right to these chairs, so details will vary. In 2009, there a bit on the small side, but still comfortable to sit in. I like puting them on the patio to looking at them.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:41 am

I have been looking through the latest Rago Auction online catalog and this seems related to the fish chaise shown in the ad above.

http://shop.ragoarts.com/modern/?l=649

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:44 am

And this!

http://shop.ragoarts.com/modern/?l=669

STYLE OF ARTHUR UMANOFF Chaise lounge with shaped wicker seat on black enameled metal base. 34 1/2" x 79" x 25"

$1,000 - $1,500

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:49 pm

Cool !

Now, compare this fish lounge to the one on the catalog page above. Hasn't the wire base been turned upside-down somehow ?

The first chair above is related to a classic modern upholstered shell, isn't it ? I can't name it - not "Swan". . .

SDR

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:56 pm

SDR wrote:Cool !

Now, compare this fish lounge to the one on the catalog page above. Hasn't the wire base been turned upside-down somehow ?

The first chair above is related to a classic modern upholstered shell, isn't it ? I can't name it - not "Swan". . .

SDR

This rattan design is a variation of the Swan chair as designed by the Lavernes. Lemme find a pic...

Here it is:
http://www.20thcenturymarks.co.uk/pages/single/397.html

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:35 am

moderns-r-us wrote:And this!

http://shop.ragoarts.com/modern/?l=669

STYLE OF ARTHUR UMANOFF Chaise lounge with shaped wicker seat on black enameled metal base. 34 1/2" x 79" x 25"

$1,000 - $1,500

I would like to have a couple of those on my patio. cheaper than Richard Schultz chaise loungers :wink:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:37 am

I nominate this thread as a Best of Lotta Living Thread. Good stuff!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:53 am

Image as designed

Image as reassembled after an accident ?

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:31 pm

We had the 13g basket chairs and, discussed before, the sea grass rush squares!
"a real flavor of the orient on a budget basis"
(pegboard-same price now)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:42 pm

So did we -- though I can't recall if that's exactly what they looked like. And I didn't know they were sold by the square -- in custom sizes ? 17 cents !

My parents were closet modernists, it turns out. . .

Did Palley's have a brick-and-mortar location in the New York area -- or did everything come in the UPS truck ? I was away at school every day, of course, so stuff mysteriously appeared. . .

SDR

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:14 pm

How about this children's rocker?

My parents were fully assumed modernists... my dad even built a series of case goods for their new home when they got married. We're talking about floating buffets with slate tops and sliding glass doors, completely streamlined beds, etc. I guess was brainwashed very early on...

We had a series of wicker patio chairs that had a very simple iron base with a round hoop and the seats were perfect wicker cones that were just inserted and sat on the iron base; The pic below shows a very similar design:

24x48
Modern Fan

Postby 24x48 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:34 pm

SDR wrote:Did Palley's have a brick-and-mortar location in the New York area -- or did everything come in the UPS truck ? I was away at school every day, of course, so stuff mysteriously appeared. . .

SDR
Palley's had a mail order catalog...I have a few editions from '59 to '60...it appears there were at least four brick and mortar locations and all in the Los Angeles area...one was on the 7700 block of Van Nuys Blvd (that would be just north of Saticoy...south of the old GM plant and close to the old Fedco location. I kind of remember a Pep Boys around there.

Here is another view of the living room...from a very old transparency that has discolored thru time...I am certain the carpet was more blue! The 48 foot long by 24 foot wide house was awesome! Of course, one would freeze in the winter and bake in the summer...as a kid, it didn't matter.

24X48

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”