Finally a manufactured housing company gets it

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Finally a manufactured housing company gets it

Postby modfan » Thu May 07, 2009 4:38 am

RU reading this Silvercrest, Fleetwood et al?
Pic at the link.

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Thu May 07, 2009 2:35 pm

modfan

FYI

Postby modfan » Thu May 07, 2009 3:18 pm

The backgrounds are computer generated the actual model home looks like it's still setup in their factory.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu May 07, 2009 5:13 pm

old topic. like determined before, where are you going to site this house? decent, affordable prefabs have been around for several years now, but because most are of modular construction, siting in various municipalities is still quite limited. if they'd chose panelized construction, more options would be available to site them.

the other problem: land cost :?

modfan

Well...

Postby modfan » Fri May 08, 2009 9:24 am

I thought it was significant because an actual
(mobile home manufacturer) did this not a panelized/modular one.

One that made homes for 'mobile home parks' that didn't look like the usual 28' x 66' box like Fleetwood and Silvercrest make, and sadly these companies aren't thinking 'outside the box' like Clayton has.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri May 08, 2009 2:21 pm

eventually the big boys react. that's been the pattern all through home building history. but my point regarding siting still applies.

probably destined for the vacation house market, not primary housing.

trailer parks are getting squeezed out in many urban areas because of land values skyrocketing.

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sun May 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Looks like the inspiration for the exterior design didn't really make it into the interior aspects of the house. The kitchen, living, and baths are pretty pedestrian (also a little cheap) looking... Kind of like the finishes from a Dania scratch and dent sale exploded all over the interior.

I do think some of the environmental features of the house are really interesting and surprising given the targeted price point. However, the words Green and Modern get used too interchangeably in the current pop-design literature (Dwell, I'm looking in your direction...). It's possible to be one and not the other. It'll take more than a half-hearted little butterfly roof grafted onto a traditional manufactured home to convince me that modern prefab has hit the mainstream.

Joe's right about land prices too... for most of the country, this is holding modern prefab back much more than a lack of interesting products. I am excited to see that, unlike the Clayton home, modern prefab in general has started to produce some really interesting modular designs that can be tailored to different sites (one imperfect example: Sunset's BreezeHouse from a few years ago, which let you stack the modules in several different ways and select from a variety of roof lines). A fundamntal aspect of good design being the adaptation of an object to it's surroundings, I think this sort of flexibility is going to be important if modern prefab is to really catch on with people who care about aesthetics.

All this being said, nearly everything else you own was produced in a factory (due to inherent advantages with regard to quality and cost control), why not your house?
You are born modern, you do not become so.

modfan

Well they could

Postby modfan » Sun May 10, 2009 9:56 pm

start with the Oakridge 'mobile home' park that was destroyed near me in Sylmar from the fire about a year ago......it's still rubble.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 11, 2009 8:25 am

good points, eggMCMuffin

modern prefab today is really about buying design. I think in general people are OK with factory built. It's the design they cannot afford.

In these Post Modern times, average people cannot afford to hire an architect and build a custom home. Whereas architects worked with merchant builders to bring great design to average people during the Modern era (1945-65), a handful of today's architect are bypassing that old model and delivering the home directly to the buyer. unfortunately, it's up to the buyer to sort out where the home goes... and that's why we won't see much success with modern prefab today.

for Modern Prefab to succeed, it needs the third leg of the stool: the builder/developer to create the community.

JGropp
Special Secret Modern Agent

Apologies-

Postby JGropp » Wed May 13, 2009 10:26 am

Joe and all- My apologies for
Double-Posting to this Topic-
didn't know it was extant. JG

Jerry Gropp Architect AIA PS

7620 SE 72nd St., Mercer Isl. WA
98040 (206)612-7367
eMail
JGropp2@AOL.com
http://jgropp2.googlepages.com/alterationsanadditions

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”