Patio sets

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cougarider
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Patio sets

Postby cougarider » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:02 pm

I'm looking to furnish my patio for entertaining large numbers of people. At least 15-20. Does any one have any suggestions for dinning and sectional seating that would go with a modern ranch? Mainly I need suggestions for the seating area. I kinda have a teak or acacia wood table in mind. Can anyone share photos?

Thanks,

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Patio sets

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:02 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:06 am

jonu
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Re: Patio sets

Postby jonu » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:00 pm

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:50 pm

I like the bench idea. Those pics help out a lot. I will try and post some pics of the patio tomorrow.
Thanks for the help so far.

cougarider
Modern Socialite

here's a pic of the patio I promised.

Postby cougarider » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:04 pm

I want to add seating and dining. Should I use a wood (Teak/acacia) for the dinner table or metal? Suggestions for Outdoor living sofa and club chair?
I'd like to add a shade sail and attach them to the roofs. I was told by local awning reps that it would rip my roof off. I'm now leaning towards the basic umbrella. Damn!!!!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Last edited by Joe on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:52 am

cougarider
Modern Socialite

Postby cougarider » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:04 pm

This is the sail I was to install. I like the way the sail was mounted to the roof for added height. Should I be concerned about roof stress?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:24 pm

I would be more concerned about the aluminum awning than I would the sail shade. rather than showing me a photo that is not your house, show me the approx. area where you want it.

my experience to attach to a concrete anchored pole and the fascia. you want to be able to take it down when not using it. I have never heard of a sail shad ripping off a roof. that doesn't sound possible. Also, do talk to the manufacturer for installation practices too.

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:48 am

I would say the question of whether the sail can damage the roof has to do with the geopgraphic location of the home. Primarily due to two factors:

Temperature: If you see extreme cold/hot fluctuations day-to-night, you could have problems due to thermal expansion and contraction. However, these issues can generally be overcome with a "pretentioning" system that utilizes springs instead of screw-type turnbuckles (so that the sail expands and contracts with the temperature, never getting too tight or too droopy).

Wind: In normally docile Portland, we get very extreme windstorms every few years, and many people fail to plan for them. There are a lot of factors that go into even rough aerodynamic calculations (angle of attack, coefficient of drag, turbulence, etc) but we can conservatively say that a 100MPH gust of wind could generate generate lifting pressure of up to 10 PSI on the horizontally positioned sail. Said another way, put your hand out of the car window at 70 MPH and you'll note that the pressure (in this case from drag) acting over the small surface area of your hand is still approximately equivalent to the weight of a can of Campbells soup. Wind force is not linear, having an exponential relationship with velocity, which is why windstorms of 50 MPH rarely cause trouble but windstorms of 100 MPH can wreak havoc (if you tried to put your hand out the car window at 150 MPH, you'd find that it was difficult to even hold it stationary). In a 100 MPH wind storm, the sail is going to potentially see thousands of pounds of loading. These loads are more or less evenly distributed over the surface area of the sail, so it can take it. However, the three anchor points must take all of this loading and distribute it over very small surface areas (hundreds or even more than a thousand pounds at each connection point are possible). As a result, I would absolutely want to design in an option to quickly remove or retract any sail anchored to my house during even moderate windstorms. I would also want to reinforce the mounting points with steel plates in order to avoid point loading any strucutral lumber, awning, etc where it meets the turnbuckle. These precautions will help to prevent fatigue failures (due to periods of cycling at moderate loads) as well as "catastrophic" failures (where instantaneous forces exceed the material's ultimate strength)... All this being said, if you have any doubts at all, paying a structural engineer to review the specifics of the design, even if you don't plan to seek permits, is going to be money well spent.
You are born modern, you do not become so.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:36 pm

I would suggest shade cloth on guy-wires that can be opened and closed. this was done in several of Cliff Mays custom homes. These is the only links I can find right now:

http://www.ronhazelton.com/archives/how ... wning.shtm

http://www.pakunlimited.com/modules.php ... de=thread(

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:49 am

I've attached my IKEA sail shade to a concrete-anchored pole on one side (used metal braces to keep it stable against the fence, as shown in the pic below) and to the roof rafters on the other side. I didn't tighten it too much, to allow some give in the wind. The IKEA sails have some coils at the ends that provide some extra give in the wind.

I wouldn't anchor it to the edge of the roof, especially if it is tongue & groove; I suppose in the case of Cliff Mays this is possible because of the large wood fascia board edging the roof.

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:23 am

You are born modern, you do not become so.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:57 am

I was just looking through a Sunset book from '67 on patio roofs.
Might be worth a purchase for ideas. I could only find a '77 version on
e-bay but mine has many ideas considering wind and rain.

For seating a crowd? A dozen chairs that stack or fold. Along with a long
permanent bench seating like pictured above. 2 square tables are more
versatile. Easy to move around and put together for a long dining table.
Separate they could be more useful for everyday or cocktails.

This is one of my favorite stacking chairs. The 40/4
On e-bay right now. They have 40! But expensive.

I have a dozen Gerd Land chairs that stack nicely under the overhang of the deck.
Not many chairs are fully weatherproof. Two of mine are pretty shot from leaving them
out all last summer. Mine are orange without the built-in cushions.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:01 am

I've been pulling out all my books this morning!
I must be planning that deck addition again.

The Outdoor How-to-build-it Book has some more good ideas.
I imagine some lawn area off the slab? That may be more suitable for
a lounge area. My deck is small and just off the kitchen. Would easily
hold 12 for dinner and a wandering 20 for cocktails, but not really room
for lounging more than 2. Meaning actual reclining lounge chairs. I'm
planning to add another deck, 20x20 ish with bench seating along at least
two sides like Jonu. This photo has me thinking.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”