photos of the forgotten

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

photos of the forgotten

Postby L.A.kevin » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:18 pm

Stumbled across this great architecture photo site today. Its in the link below under "photos of the forgotten":

http://www.synthetrix.com/

Don't know who hosts this, but they seem to be aligned to the same issues we are on this board.

Kev

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:18 pm

An excellent site!
Thank you for sharing this one.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:35 am

This is Vic Stapf's site; he grew up next to Disneyland. Nice guy.

Don-O
Modern Socialite

Postby Don-O » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:12 pm

Yup, this address is one of the very best "modern" sites out there. Tons of pix, info and personal stories to boot! Hell, I used to live near Disneyland around the same time he did (circa late 1980).

I hope more updates will be coming!!

Don-O
For further details:
http://donosdump.com

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Thanks!

Postby Synthetrix » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:08 pm

:D
Thanks for the kind words. Although I have not been able to update the site much in the last few months, I am still always looking for stuff to put up. I have lost a lot of bidding wars lately for postcards of the old googie motels in Anaheim. One went for 43 bucks the other day! That's more than I care to spend for an old postcard.
Great news about Johnie's Broiler BTW.
Victor (Synthetrix) Stapf
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:46 pm

I especially enjoyed your tracking down some of the last playgrounds from the past, Synthetrix. Not many of the metal rockets remain. I watched a news feature recently one night on local TV, "Toxic Parks" ! AHHHHHHH! The investigation showed the County getting tough on these killing fields with a "Cat" devouring one of the rockets at Whittier Narrows Park. It seems that the playground rockets gave our generation an outlet to act out the SPACE AGE we watched adults (astronauts, scientists, engineers) engaged in, on the family television. Sure the plastic replacements are equally engaged yet I suspect they will not last nearly as long, and if they do, will dry out in the SoCal sun, crack and cut the little kiddies. Toxic Parks II.

Congrats fellow concrete/metal playground survivors. We made it out alive!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”