lawrence welk resort and museum in escondido ca

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

lawrence welk resort and museum in escondido ca

Postby sky » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Here's a few shots for starts and then there's a link below to a slideshow of the album.

There are 72 photos in the album. The best photos are rated 4 and 5, and there are only 32 of those in this link:

http://bigdogwebpages.com/bdhome/slider ... ratings=45
(When in doubt, click!)

To see the additional photos, just add :d: ah 1 or :d: ah 2 or :d: ah 3 to the end of the ratings string - in any order. (I always wanted to say that ... it's like telling Trebek that you always wanted to say "Let's make it a true daily double.")

======
2012.02.02, Images and links restored. But this slideshow is newer and better than the one above:
http://tinydancer.bigdogwebpages.com/ti ... ratings=45
Last edited by sky on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:03 pm

Thank ya, boys!
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Wunnerful, wunnerful!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Hey sky-thanks for sharing. Is the museum worth the trip from mid-state?

Slim and I are big LW fans, not the least because our folks watched the show religiously every week. But seriously-there were a lot of big band greats in the orchestra-last steady gig for a lot of folks in those days.

LW is kind of my cheesy business guru, since he created his own sponsor "The Honolulu Fruit Gum Orchestra" as a publicity stunt. So, yeah, might have to pay homage.

Was the room OK? Could you see an actual show? I think most of the folks are actually at Branson (don't want to do that particular cheese fest) and we'd want to see the lovely Anna Cani, NOT Guy and Ralna.

Thanks for posting pix. What's not to love??

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

sky

Postby sky » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:46 pm

Sister Gabby,

I was only there to take photos today. I live about 20 minutes away.

While I would never make light of anyone else's religion, I would suggest that if you made such a pilgrimage to the Welk Resort, that you make it as a side trip. We have a lot of other stuff in Southern California for you to see and do. (Note that I have a large penguin collection that you might enjoy!)

The museum is in the lobby of a legitimate theater which shows mostly musicals. I didn't see anything there to suggest that there were any performances based on the Welk TV Show. (I made a note that I wanted to see "Seussical the Musical" which will play there next July. If I do that, I’ll be sure to post something about the quality of the theater then.)

I remember watching the show with my grandparents, but don't recall anything specific about it other than that I liked girls with great hair and nice dresses - still do, I guess. Most of what I remember about LW is probably reinforced by parodies and sound bites, making it difficult to know what memories are real. I am so familiar with the music, though, I guess that part was real. I would go see a Welk cover band if such a thing existed; I really would!

The part I liked most at the museum was the video presentation - but it was hard to follow today because they were pumping out Christmas music at the same time. I took several bad still photos (I'm a terrible photographer) of the video, which are in the slideshow (link at bottom of my first post above). There are also some photos there of the resort itself. Again, it looked nice enough but there are many other resort and golf choices down here.

-Brother Sky

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 pm

I won a free weekend there a couple years back. Nice place, but I'm not a golfer, and the weather was terrible...so I didn't find much to do at the resort. Sadly, I never made it to the museum or theatre; we went to the wild animal park and Julian instead.

I'll have to actually stop and check out the memorabilia one of these days.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:48 pm

Dating myself here, but I remember going to POP or Pacific Ocean Park when I was a kid. It was there, in the Aragon (sp?) ballroom that the Lawrence Welk show was supposedly taped. What I remember is that bubbles came out of the building. I also remember Stan Feberg's parody, Wun'erful, Wun'erful:

http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/song_ ... ngID=11556

Just a sample, they are trying to sell albums. And I may buy a few. (he actually finished "the United States of America" My wife and I are now subjecting yet another generation to it.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:46 pm

slim n gabby

i'm a big fan myself. i would probably not make a specific trip just to go there (unless guy and ralna were performing), BUT if it's within an hour of anywhere you are driving or visiting, absolutely make the trip.

the story of larry and his family is quite inspirational.

thanks for posting all of these sky!
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

sky

Postby sky » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:06 am

egads wrote:Dating myself here, but I remember going to POP or Pacific Ocean Park when I was a kid. It was there, in the Aragon (sp?) ballroom that the Lawrence Welk show was supposedly taped.

Egads: Your memory (and spelling) is good. I took this still photo from the video presentation:
That photo is also in the slideshow. I should mention that if you change it to "scroll mode," you can then click on any photo to bring up an original. The originals are in high enough resolution that you can zoom in and see the smaller pieces of memorabilia well.

Always great to see your posts, FG. I should have mentioned that, once upon a time, it was you who told me to check out the Welk museum!

======
2012.02.02, Image restored.
Last edited by sky on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like an hour or two diversion to fit into another trip.

Thought we were the only 'youngsters' still interested in welkdom. It wouldn't be so bad if they would ever release any of those shows. What the hey? I can't believe someone doesn't want to make money from that!

Oh well, I guess you can still catch the occasional show on PBS. Guy and Ralna indeed. Sigh.
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

sky

Postby sky » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:14 am

I forgot to mention that the resort does not have full golf courses. They call them "executive" courses. I would call them pitch and putt – no woods needed. (That's what Elin said.)

Also, that there is no lack of content on the Internets. Here are some links in addition to egads' link above:

http://www.welkmusicalfamily.com/welkcomepage.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RIHygcZqkw – especially for Gabby

http://www.ralnaenglish.com/ontour.php (tour dates - note that July 10 date in Lancaster, PA includes Anacani - also note that her wikipedia article says that she does live in Escondido)

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks sky-muy sabrosito! I just love that beautifulla Anacani.

And some great links. Me thinks Slim and I will have ourselves a LW fest this evening. Not on any stations we can get here. Still amazes me you can't get these shows to purchase. But those links are purty swell.

Hmm. Champagne and peanuts?

sky

Postby sky » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:02 pm

For S & G, not a lot of notice for you, but you never know ... I saw this advertised in a local fish wrap today:

http://www.welktheatersandiego.com/defa ... idno=28714

welk resorts wrote:Guy & Ralna : of the "Lawrence Welk Show"

Playing: February 4 - 11th

Guy & Ralna's live concert is fun for the entire family! Performing many of their hits and viewer favorites from the weekly TV series, they will also sing many standards from the great american song book of the 1930's and 1940's, plus Pop, Patriotic, Broadway, Country, and Gospel. Guy will also perform "Let The Eagle Soar", which he sang for the 2005 Presidential Inauguration and concert-goers delight when Ralna performs her signature song, "How Great Thou Art."

Together Guy & Ralna have appeared in 15 national PBS television specials for "The Lawrence Welk Show". In 2010, Guy & Ralna also starred in "Marvin Hamlisch Presents: The 70's, The Way We Were". Ralna starred in her own PBS TV special in 2007, "Ralna English: From My Heart", with a 75-piece philharmonic orchestra and 100-voice choir.

sky

Postby sky » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 pm

S&G - kind of the same story as last year - Guy and Ralna at the Lawrence Welk Resort with not much notice.

http://welkresorts.com/san-diego-theatre/

Playing: 3/9/2013 - 3/16/2013

Guy & Ralna’s live concert is fun for the entire family! Performing many of their hits and viewer favorites from the weekly TV series, they will also sing many standards from the great American songbook of the 1930s and 1940s, plus pop, patriotic, Broadway, country and gospel. Guy will also perform Let The Eagle Soar, which he sang for the 2005 Presidential Inauguration and concert-goers will delight when Ralna performs her signature song, How Great Thou Art.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”