who is still interested in mid mod/atomic age in las vegas?

Information regarding the operation of this bulletin board.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

heximer
Modern Socialite

who is still interested in mid mod/atomic age in las vegas?

Postby heximer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:45 pm

it seems people have lost interest. i have not. who else is still interested?

triviacompanion
Modern Groupie

Re: who is still interested in mid mod/atomic age in las veg

Postby triviacompanion » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:52 pm

heximer wrote:it seems people have lost interest. i have not. who else is still interested?

I know this is an ancient thread, but I thought it was worth commenting on.

LOTS of people are interested in atomic age stuff, I see variations of it all the time, e-post cards, vintage era pictures of 1950's house wives with political slogans on them, and lots of other things.

There are a few cafe-like places with the 60's modern look, people like those.

The thing is, no one really knows what to call it and people don't actively seek it out.

Thats what happened to me, I'd forgotten about the music (I used to listen to a man named Franklin Hobbes when I was younger.. I've always been highly interested in radio.. I once had so many antique radios that... well.. I digress..)

30 years later, I was searching for some java code and stumbled on Javas Bachelor Pad... quite by accident... then it all kind of came back... I used to really like that sort of music, and I'd forgotten all about it!

One would imagine others have had the same experience.

As to the lack of interest (or seeking it out)... frankly, facebook ISN'T helping.

I was on the net' back in the 90's.. even before the web.. now THAT was a social environment! what passes as "social media" these days is a crock, on many, many levels.

Peel people away from the monolithic corporate "social" sites and you'd probably see a lot more interest again.
http://triviacompanion.com/ - Jet-set & Jazzy bachelor pad music

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:54 pm

thanks for the input triviacompanion. i, too, was back in the days of the BBS - are we dating ourselves or what! anyways - i find facebook is a bit too megalithic for me and that is why i cling to my little forum here. and i have made some nice friends via this board.

hex - since this question got posted in the announcement forum - i suspect that's one reason why it never got any eyes on it. sure - people are still interested in hearing about vegas preservation and stuff here. just do a search and see how many threads there are about vegas - especially under roadside rambling. there's interest.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

triviacompanion
Modern Groupie

Postby triviacompanion » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Futura Girl wrote:thanks for the input triviacompanion. i, too, was back in the days of the BBS - are we dating ourselves or what! anyways - i find facebook is a bit too megalithic for me and that is why i cling to my little forum here. and i have made some nice friends via this board.

Yea, I remember the BBS's too. I actually ran one for awhile.

I know people from facebook who, pretty much, never visit any other websites.

I used to complain that the internet was becoming "the web" and that people were forgetting about things like usenet and archie. (I miss usenet!)

I recently tried to explain to someone how to upload files to his host.. I told him to use sftp.. and.. you guessed it.. he proceeded to type 'sftp' into his browser... waiting for me to give him the rest of the sftp "URL".

But now.. forget email or gopher, it's not even the web anymore, the internet is now "facebook".

It's pretty sad... the internet held a lot of potential and we had high hopes.

Sorry, I know this is the wrong discussion, on the wrong board, in the wrong topic.. but.. well... I'll try to link it together here...

Facebook is homogenized, monolithic, uniform.. like McDonalds. All the cheeseburgers are the same, all the "facebook pages" are just like all the others, you don't have to experience anything "new". And it's all owned by one, unified corporation.. just the way we like it.

There's no room for creativity in this model.
http://triviacompanion.com/ - Jet-set & Jazzy bachelor pad music

Return to “Announcements”