Finding that just right blue-green paint color

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sealuxe
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Finding that just right blue-green paint color

Postby Sealuxe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Just returned from a trip to LA/Palm Springs and am trying to find that nice blue with touch of green color that I saw many front doors painted with. The best example was an Eichler house on Jimeno, maybe 4 houses or so before hitting Westbury, on East side of street. It was located in Balboa Highlands on the off chance that someone lives in that Eichler neighborhood. I wish I could describe the color better but would love any suggestions that might be in this color range. Maybe it's an original Eichler color or something.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 am

paint store would be a great place to start :wink:

I know the house you speak of, I think you're talking about LL member Adriene's Eichler. Not original, but perhaps she can post up what color it is. I think she has a classic car to match.

my front door is turquoise to pay tribute to the original color of my house:

original color back in the day (see corner):

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:36 pm

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:33 am

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:11 am

The owner of the blue Eichler door you mention is on here, her screen name is Zelzah. Maybe sent her a private message?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:47 am

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:15 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:23 am

Sealuxe
Modern Fan

Postby Sealuxe » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 am

I was browsing Ebay and noticed that someone is selling pictures of Eichler front doors and the house with the cool blue door, that I'm trying to find the name of the paint color of, is the main picture for the auction. I also like the window blinds next to the door. Can anyone tell what those might be? Plastic/glass?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mid-Century-Modern- ... _746wt_948

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:29 am

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:28 pm

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:01 am

I'd go to a Sherwin-Williams store. It will cost you $6.00 per gallon more and it's worth every penny of it.

Behr doesn't cover well. The first time I did my orange doors, it took 7 coats of it to cover even with using the correct gray base. When I started painting the walls (white) it was the same thing, plus it likes to run.

SW didn't do any of this. Take it from me...I just laid 27 gallons of paint in my house a few months ago. I'll never use Behr EVER again. The SW took only 2 coats to properly cover (without runs either!) and was a dream to work with compared to the Behr.

Perks

Postby Perks » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:19 pm

I had no trouble using Behr for my interior walls. It did an entirely satisfactory job, and covered darker colors just fine with a coat of primer and a couple coats of paint.

It didn't seem quite as well suited for exterior jobs; I was going to use Sherwin-Williams, but I found the local store really irritating and so I spent my money on Benjamin Moore at my local contractors' paint shop. It sprayed and rolled on great.

Many (if not most) paint stores will sell you samples; the nice thing about Moore paints--at least at my local establishment--is that they sell tiny jars of pre-mixed paint so you don't have to pay for them to mix you up a "trial" quart.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:26 pm

I like both SW and BM paints....both go on very smoothly, coat well and don't run. Good paint is worth the money. Good preparation and primer is worth more!

I chose to spray and back-roll most of what I did using a Graco spray system and not a cheesy Wagner buzzpot.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:00 pm

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:08 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:00 am

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”