Beam Rot... what to do?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
drsiebling
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Beam Rot... what to do?

Postby drsiebling » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:19 am

Hey All...

Last summer, Dallas experienced a few months of prolonged and torrential rains. In August, my flat roof sprung a leak that managed to pour an ungodly amount of water into my living room. At the time, my insurance company refused to look any deeper than the damage on the surface of the roof and on the surfaces of the interior and decided I couldn't meet my deductible. I protested at the time with the primary concern that one or more of the house's beams might have water damage. Well, I just removed the beam covers from that part of the house and, lo and behold, I have a beam that is falling to pieces and is as soft as a sponge.

Here are a few pics... this is the split beam section of my house:

Obviously, I've already been screaming at the insurance company, but I was curious as to what something like this warrants. It certainly doesn't seem like an easy or cheap fix. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks for your help...

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:30 pm

I'd call in a structural engineer to have a look. They will be able to tell you what needs to be done to remedy the situation.
Visit my Blog

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm

there is a lot online regarding beam rot repair. you'll either need to dig out the rot and fill it or replace the beam. I had to replace a beam, wasn't too big of a deal.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm

spaceghost
Modern Fan

Postby spaceghost » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

spaceghost
Modern Fan

Postby spaceghost » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 pm

i am not a lawyer or realtor and did not intend on giving legal advice. on top all of that, the house i recently bought was sold as-is so the disclosures were merely a formality. i do not remember everything that was on that form but i do remember seeing a claim against homeowner's insurance.

reverb2000
Modern Socialite

Postby reverb2000 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:35 am

super easy fix..create a wall running parallel to the bad beam for weight support, then just replace the beam...get a sawzall, and start cutting.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”