Paul Landacre cabin

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Paul Landacre cabin

Postby nichols » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Edendale — a Los Angeles paradise lost

By Hector Tobar
July 1, 2010

...I wondered if the home was still standing. So I went out to take a look. What I found was a familiar L.A. story — a piece of history neglected and forgotten. The Landacres' rustic cabin now overlooks the Glendale Freeway. And it's in a sorry state of disrepair...

...The conservationist Charles Fisher helped save the Landacre home in 2006 by successfully applying for landmark status. Today there's a relatively new city of L.A. sign outside proclaiming the property city historic monument No. 839...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 303.column

KevinEP
Modern Master

Landacre

Postby KevinEP » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Charlie did a great job with the nomination, but for the record, the applicant was the Echo Park Historical Society.

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Sounds like it's just being allowed to rot away, does anybody know if there are photos of the house, I live near-by, I'm going to do a filed trip this weekend and check it out.

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks, that look sad, I did figure out where the house is, I'll try and go up this week and see just how sad the building is, maybe there is hope for rehab if it's not too far gone

:(

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Well I drove up to the house today and Im sorry to report the place is in a pitiful state. At least two broken windows, I could peer though and see the kitchen, which appeared to have been in recent use. the other is an enclosed porch, filled to the brim with debris.

The electricity is on and the roof looks fairly new, someone may be occupying the house (legally?)

The grounds are a wreck, over grown and dead, the city has recently been grading the dirt road and may have destroyed the staircase depicted in the block print and photo posted in this thread.

Just a shame.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”