Cranbrook Academy of Art

A place to catalog, review, and discuss specific Mid Century Modern locations across the world, both past and present.

Moderators: Joe, moderns-r-us, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

rglater
Modern Socialite

Cranbrook Academy of Art

Postby rglater » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Metropolis is an interesting magazine on architecture, preservation an design.

This issue includes an article on Cranbrook Academy of Art. My former wife attended there as a printmaking student in the early '80's and I loved the campus. I remember being in the library reading a book by Lee Simonson, one of my favorite writers on art and design. I looked at the library checkout slip in the pocket in the front and it hadn't been checked out in 2 decades. If my mom and sister hadn't worked in libraries I might have been tempted...
http://www.metropolismag.com/story/2011 ... -influence
Richard Dietzel
gabh an latha
Eugene, OR

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:25 am

Modernism mag did a piece on Cranbrook a couple of years back and you can access their (partial) archives for free, including that edition. if you register.
http://www.modernismmagazine.com/viewonline.html

It's where Charles and Ray Eames first met, with the then married Charles divorcing his first wife to marry Ray.
scowsa

rglater
Modern Socialite

Postby rglater » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:05 pm

It was a beautiful place with a significant history. It was also very much like Art School Confidential, minus the murders of course. My ex transferred to SF State where you got a studio, some class time and were expected to produce art. At Cranbrook a fellow student called her a lady of ill repute because she already had a agent and was selling art. Working representationally during an abstract to conceptual period was definitely swimming against the stream.

When a school has a style that its students are expected to follow the atmosphere is much tougher (brutal) than when a school has no rep to mold a person to, writing, critique, architecture even economics or sociology (Northewestern, Chicago, Yale, Harvard).

That said I loved Detroit as tough as things were then and tougher now it has some amazing architecture ad FLW house for sale while we were there Saarinen's house as well (I went to a garage sale there). Some of the factories, the downtown office and commercial buildings... Sigh
Richard Dietzel

gabh an latha

Eugene, OR

Return to “FAVORITE BUILDINGS (and signs)”