Museums of the Arroyo Day - Sunday, May 20th - 12-5PM - FREE

Pop culture events, tours, openings, shows, parties, monthly meetings and meetups

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

voxfuzz
Modern Master

Museums of the Arroyo Day - Sunday, May 20th - 12-5PM - FREE

Postby voxfuzz » Thu May 17, 2012 10:46 am

Join us for the 23nd anniversary of Museums of the Arroyo Day, where five museums located along the Arroyo Seco in Los Angeles and Pasadena open their doors free of charge from noon to 5 p.m. on May 20, 2012.

MOTA museum members include The Gamble House, Heritage Square Museum, the Los Angeles Police Museum, the Lummis Home and Garden and the Pasadena Museum of History. In addition to its ongoing regular displays and exhibits, each museum will feature a distinctive slice of Southern California history.
MOTA Day 2012

The twenty-third anniversary of Museums of the Arroyo (MOTA) Day promises to be special, and
we invite the public to tour the five museums located along the celebrated Arroyo Seco in
Los Angeles and Pasadena for a free day of fun! Hours: Noon - 5 p.m.

THE GAMBLE HOUSE

Tours of the 1908 historical landmark will be available throughout the day

Children can do special crafts in the backyard

HERITAGE SQUARE

Visitors can tour the current exhibition “Period Fashions Go to the Movies: An Inspirational Look at Historic Clothing”

Guests can also watch traditional woodcarving (California Carver’s Guild and the Glendale Woodturner's Guild) and blacksmith demonstrations (Adam’s Forge Blacksmiths)

Riveting tales from the San Gabriel Valley Storytellers will be told

Join the Victorian Tea and Dance Society at the top of each hour in the Perry parlour to watch or join in a parlour party: dance demos, audience dance-along and fun parlour games

Children can play with Victorian toys and do crafts

Costumed docents will be on hand to answer questions

THE LOS ANGELES POLICE MUSEUM

Visitors can tour a unique, limited engagement exhibition related to the 1947 murder of Elizabeth Short, aka “the Black Dahlia”

Guests can view other historical memorabilia dating back to the late 1800s

Kids can try on police gear and get “locked” in a real jail cell where adults can snap their own free police booking photos

Guests can also tour the permanent exhibit on the SLA as well as the 1997 North Hollywood Shootout

LUMMIS HOME AND GARDEN

The Historical Society of Southern California will present a new exhibit of “The Weapons of the California Wars” that will include two cannons that were used at that time

Tours of the Lummis home and gardens will be available

PASADENA MUSEUM OF HISTORY

Guests can tour the museum’s current “Contemporary Masters, Artistic Eden III” a juried art exhibition which showcases images of the San Gabriel Valley by nationally recognized fine artists

Artists from the Pasadena Art Gallery Association will have a “Paint Out” in the gardens

Families can enjoy a craft workshop and live classical music presentations

The Finnish Folk Art Museum will also be open for visitors

Remember, MOTA Day ends promptly at 5 p.m. with last entrance at all museums at 4 p.m. When making plans to visit, arrange your time appropriately.

http://www.museumsofthearroyo.com/

voxfuzz
Modern Master

Postby voxfuzz » Thu May 17, 2012 10:47 am

voxfuzz
Modern Master

Postby voxfuzz » Thu May 17, 2012 10:49 am

I'll be at Heritage Square giving tours in the Hale and Octagon Houses!

swera
Modern Groupie

Postby swera » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:06 am

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will locate that extremely useful

You can get score highest marks in ccna exam questions and answers pdf dumps exam using ccna 200-120 network simulator free download - pass-4sure and test king which are prepared by top certified professionals, network book pdf ccna wireless training.

nredom
Modern Master

Postby nredom » Fri May 08, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks for the reminder; I went on this tour a number of years ago, and it was great!

https://www.facebook.com/events/376087519249722/

Return to “Modern Calendar of Events”